Anyone Replaced A Stepper Motor In The Speedometer??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Question Anyone Replaced A Stepper Motor In The Speedometer???

My mph part of my cluster is gone out for sometime now. I bought a replacement stepper motor on ebay to replace the one in there. The guy says it must be soldered in. Has anyone done this and with any success?

"Sonic the Hedgehog" 2005 GT 5 spd. SLP LMs and stock and slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Why not replace the entire cluster? Certainly easier and you can get them on ebay.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Cluster is from 150-350 $$ and I only spent $10.50 on the stepper motor lol. Supposedly this the one that when u get your cluster fixed they use.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
That is quite a savings. Hope it works.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010
PONY Member

Here's a step-by-step how-to guide:

Stepper Motor Replacement for the S197 Instrument Pack

-Stangstta
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010
PONY Member

One thing I noticed that was not mentioned in the above guide was the use of a de-soldering vacuum (solder sucker) to de-solder the old motors from the PC board. This can be used to suck up the hot molten solder from the board. They are available at RadioShack or online.

See:

Vacuum Desoldering Tool - RadioShack.com

Amazon.com: SOLDER SUCKER DESOLDERING PUMP DESOLDER REMOVAL…

-Stangstta
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Wow,what a write up thanks a lot man. An I sure hope this cheap fix does it,I've been pulled over for speeding three times since it went out. Luckily having my firefighter sticker on back an showing them the broke speedo I have only got warnings.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010
PONY Member

You're quite welcome and good luck. Please let us know how it works out for you.

-Stangstta
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quick update: Last night I soldered it an an low and behold for $10.50 my speedometer now works as it should. Thanks for everyones feedback. I highly reccomend doing this opposed to the whole cluster being bought.

PONY Member
S197 Member

I replaced the stepper motors on all my gauges after the temp and tach started acting up. I used a solder wick instead of a solder "sucker" to pull out the solder, but it still worked well.

The technique I used was to grab the motor from the back of the board like I was trying to pluck it off the board with my fingers. I then put the soldering iron on each of the pins where they stuck through to the front of the board. As the solder softened on one leg it would pull through a little and the motor would pull slightly away from the board. I would then go to one of the other legs and do the same thing and the motor would pull out a little more. It usually took 2-3 times for each pin until all the pins came loose and the motor came off the board. Then I pushed the solder wick into the remaining solder with the iron, to heat it and wick the solder out off the holes for the pins.

Bruce
Rookie

I just bought 4 stepper motors a few days ago to replace mine. I haven't received them yet, but I can't wait.

My gas gauge works very sparingly.. has been this way for almost 2 years. The hot/cold also is the same way.

Now the other day.. my speedometer started messing up.. wasn't smooth when it was going up and down and then would also crank up and show 10mph (for example) when I was just sitting in park.

I read about replacing the stepper motor about a year ago but never could find a guide. Now I found the guide and am really excited about being able to see how much gas I have in the tank again!!

It doesn't look like it will be too hard to do this.. anyone have any tips that maybe would help me that you figured out the hard way? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page