I replaced the stepper motors on all my gauges after the temp and tach started acting up. I used a solder wick instead of a solder "sucker" to pull out the solder, but it still worked well.
The technique I used was to grab the motor from the back of the board like I was trying to pluck it off the board with my fingers. I then put the soldering iron on each of the pins where they stuck through to the front of the board. As the solder softened on one leg it would pull through a little and the motor would pull slightly away from the board. I would then go to one of the other legs and do the same thing and the motor would pull out a little more. It usually took 2-3 times for each pin until all the pins came loose and the motor came off the board. Then I pushed the solder wick into the remaining solder with the iron, to heat it and wick the solder out off the holes for the pins.