tire fitment issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

tire fitment issues

I have the factory bullit wheels 18x8.5 with 235/50/18. What is the largest tire that will safely go on this wheel? I want a staggered look. Also how will adding bigger tires affect fuel economy and cornering, Im looking at a set 18x9 255/45zr18 front and 18x10 285/40zr18 on back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaff View Post
I have the factory bullit wheels 18x8.5 with 235/50/18. What is the largest tire that will safely go on this wheel? I want a staggered look. Also how will adding bigger tires affect fuel economy and cornering, Im looking at a set 18x9 255/45zr18 front and 18x10 285/40zr18 on back.
Yep, I would recommend exactly the staggered rim and tires sizes that you are thinking here .... They are great on our car !! However, with the 40's on the rear, you are now going to notice a lot more wheel gap then before and it will bother you, unless you are lowered.

2007 Black on Black, GT 6 Speed
B326 (5.3L) Built Stroker,FRPP CNC PORTED Heads,Kooks LT's,Hi-Flow Catted H,Aluminum Drive Shaft,4:10 Gears,Tokico, Eibach Pro,Nitto 555R,,UCA/LCA, ,HotRod Cams,FRPP 62mm TB,Whipple HO-Intercooled SC,GT-500 Dual Fuel Pumps,Steeda-Whipple 10 Rib Belt Drive System,15 psi, Mcleod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, Moroso 7qt oil pan. Tremec T56 Magnum XL 6 Speed
Plus more...
709 RWHP/712 RWTQ
Mustang Dyno
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT E UPP View Post
Yep, I would recommend exactly the staggered rim and tires sizes that you are thinking here .... They are great on our car !! However, with the 40's on the rear, you are now going to notice a lot more wheel gap then before and it will bother you, unless you are lowered.
Agreed... I Have 50s on the back and it looks pretty meaty try to look for a 45 at least or lower soon because youll want to unless you want to put a cargo compartment in your wheel well..... I wonder if that would work!

2005 Mustang GT Auto: Mineral Grey with Black stripes, Steeda UDPs, Flowmaster American thunder Axle backs, Bassani catted X-pipe , JLT CAI, Ford racing 4.10 gears, Cervini here and there.

The most powerful car in the parking lot.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansBAJ View Post
Agreed... I Have 50s on the back and it looks pretty meaty try to look for a 45 at least or lower soon because youll want to unless you want to put a cargo compartment in your wheel well..... I wonder if that would work!
Seriously???? The OEM tire has an overall diameter of 27.2" The specs the OP has listed puts him roughly at 26.98" depending on the manufacturer.

You cant recommend an aspect ratio of 50 without knowing the width. No offense but I saw your tire/wheel set up before I even read this thread and my first impression was who put truck tires on their mustang?

To the OP, just remember by increasing your overall diameter you are decreasing your gearing...285/40s worked perfect for me.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I didn't recommend getting 50 I was just saying that he might either want to get a bigger ratio or lower. I am never going to lower my car its not that kind of mustang so yes I am going to put truck tires on that ***** cause I can!

2005 Mustang GT Auto: Mineral Grey with Black stripes, Steeda UDPs, Flowmaster American thunder Axle backs, Bassani catted X-pipe , JLT CAI, Ford racing 4.10 gears, Cervini here and there.

The most powerful car in the parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page