Which Wire for Park Light Circuit - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Which Wire for Park Light Circuit

Hey AFM

I'm trying to hookup my newly replaced Autometer D-PIC gauge and I'm having problems getting the dimmer option to work properly. It seems the original installer tapped into the wrong wire on the backside of the headlight switch. Autometer recommends I tap into the park light circuit. What color is the wire I'm looking for???

Thanks!

2005 Mustang GT
Mods: Ford Racing Handling Package, O.E. Direct FR500 Rims (Chrome), Nitto Tires 255/45R18 Fronts - 285/40R18 Rears, Legend Chin Spoiler, CDC Sequential Tail Lights, SSInserts GT Engraved Cupholder Accent, MGW Eject Button, JLT Intake, Xcal3 Tuner, Bamachips 91 Torque Tune, Corsa Axle-back Exhaust, Speed of Sound Triple Gauge Pod, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, Autometer Ford Racing D-PIC Gauge, Shelby CS6 Hood, 2010 Style Smoked Tails, DG Rear Diffuser Insert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010
PONY Member

The parking lamp wire is the black with light green stripe wire at the switch.

Check out the wiring diagram at:

Ford Service Manuals - Wiring Diagrams

It's on the second page, wire number 1401.

However, if you connect to this wire, your gauge back light will not be dimmable. I'd try connecting to the back light circuit of the main headlight switch instead, or is that where it is already connected? This is the yellow with light blue stripe wire on the Main Head Light switch. See the second page of the following PDF, wire 2023:

-Stangstta

Apprentice

Right now it is connected to a white wire with thin blue stripe. I think it has to do with the dimmer switch for the factory gauges. I notice that when i keep my dash gauges as bright as possible. The autometer gauge dims like it should. But if I dim my dash gauges even a little bit, it instantly brightens up the autometer gauge. So it definitely looks like I'm just not tapped into a solid 12V source??

So you figure if I tap into the yellow with light blue stripe that when I flip on my headlights, the autometer gauge will dim?

2005 Mustang GT
Mods: Ford Racing Handling Package, O.E. Direct FR500 Rims (Chrome), Nitto Tires 255/45R18 Fronts - 285/40R18 Rears, Legend Chin Spoiler, CDC Sequential Tail Lights, SSInserts GT Engraved Cupholder Accent, MGW Eject Button, JLT Intake, Xcal3 Tuner, Bamachips 91 Torque Tune, Corsa Axle-back Exhaust, Speed of Sound Triple Gauge Pod, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, Autometer Ford Racing D-PIC Gauge, Shelby CS6 Hood, 2010 Style Smoked Tails, DG Rear Diffuser Insert

Old 08-26-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickGT View Post
So you figure if I tap into the yellow with light blue stripe that when I flip on my headlights, the autometer gauge will dim?
That's my best guess. I'd test it with a test light first to confirm.

Does your autometer gauge have it's own dimming capability?

-Stangstta
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangstta View Post
That's my best guess. I'd test it with a test light first to confirm.

Does your autometer gauge have it's own dimming capability?

-Stangstta
It seems like a pretty straight forward thing. Here's the instructions

http://www.autometer.com/download_in...pic%20inst.pdf

red wire - 12v key on - check
black wire - ground
white wire - 12v dash lighting

Hopefully it's just a matter of finding the correct wire to tap the white one into... Everything was working fine though before... I had to ship it back for warranty work because parts of the display were dead.

2005 Mustang GT
Old 08-26-2010
PONY Member

The instructions you provided indicate the white dimming wire can be connected to either the parking or dash dimming circuits. Given that, you should be able to connect to either wire I mentioned.

It seems the meter only has two levels of brightness, and wants 12volts on the white wire to dim. Given that, Im wondering if you connect it to the dash light wire if it will initially dim, but at some point when you dim the lights down and drop the voltage below 12 volts, if it will actually revert back to bright mode. Id suggest you experiment with this before you complete the installation.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangstta View Post
The instructions you provided indicate the white dimming wire can be connected to either the parking or dash dimming circuits. Given that, you should be able to connect to either wire I mentioned.

It seems the meter only has two levels of brightness, and wants 12volts on the white wire to dim. Given that, Im wondering if you connect it to the dash light wire if it will initially dim, but at some point when you dim the lights down and drop the voltage below 12 volts, if it will actually revert back to bright mode. Id suggest you experiment with this before you complete the installation.
That's exactly what happens! Thanks for all your help man

2005 Mustang GT
Old 08-26-2010
PONY Member

You're quite welcome.

I looked the schematics once again and the original wire I mentioned is not going to work for you. If you look at schematic of the "MAIN LIGHT SWITCH" on page 2 of;

you'll notice that the switch actually grounds the signal for "PARK". You need +12V for the dimming input. You need a non-dimmable +12V supply when the parking lights are on. I think you need to run a wire over to the Smart Junction Box (SJB) which is located in the front passenger's kick panel. I can't think of a closer place than that, other than going throught the firewall or into the trunk to connect to one of the parking lamps.

You've got a number of choices here at the SJB. All of them come off of connector C2280D on the SJB. That conenctor is on the rear side of the SJB, so you will have to remove the single bottom nut holding the SJB in to access it. See page 5 of the following PDF which shows you which connector is C2280D on the SJB:

See the following pages in the this PDF for your choices of wires on that connector:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Parking,%20Rear%20and%20License%2 0Lamps.pdf

Page 1:
TAIL LAMP LEFT, Tan with Red Stripe, Wire 1784

Page 2:
SIDE LAMP RIGHT, Brown, Wire 14
SIDE LAMP LEFT, White with Red Stripe, Wire 667

Page 3:
SIDE LAMP RIGHT / LEFT REAR, Red with Pink Stripe, Wire 1361
LICENSE PATE LAMP, Dark Green withe Light Green Stripe, Wire 1370
TAIL LAMP RIGHT, Dark Blue with Tellow Stripe, Wire 1729

-Stangstta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in