Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge Install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge Install

Well as many of you know, I have been working on installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge in a Roush Vent pod. All in all, the install went smoothly except for a few minor glitches.

The only difference between installing the mechanical and electrical is the oil line that you have to run through the firewall.

I am writing this walkthrough because in all my searching I never found a page telling how to do it. So this is for anyone who is thinking about installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge in their S197.

1. First pull the original vent out of the dash, and remove the plastic ring around the vent slats. Make sure your careful when removing the plastic or else you will break a clip like my dad did and have to glue it back. Attach the plastic ring onto the Roush Vent Pod.

2. Remove the inner vent by popping the tabs out with a flat object. If doing this alone, you may need to use shims or something to hold the tabs out or else they will pop back in.

3. I put my gauge in the vent on the left of the factory gauges. I used the Roush instructions for running the wiring. I ran the wires behind the dash to the headlight switch. I removed the headlight switch using a putty knife. For the 12V power source, I used the Yellow w/ light blue stripe wire. This provides a dim-able power source and the light in the gauge will come on when the stock dash lights are turned on. For the ground wire, I used the metal framework behind the dash. There was a bolt right behind the headlight switch that I used as a ground.

4. The oil line was tricky to run, to get it through the vent, I heated up an awl and punched a small hole through the bottom of the inside of the vent. I then ran it all the way down by the clutch pedal. There is a rubber grommet where the dash wires go through the fire wall, so I poked a hole through it. After pushing the oil line through the hole, I ran it all the way down to the sending unit by the oil filter.

5. In order to install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, you have to remove the stock oil sending unit and install a T. Then reattach the stock sending unit to one end of the T and the aftermarket attachment to the other end.

6. When running the nylon tube the engine compartment you have to make sure that it is not going to come in direct contact with a heat source. In order to do this, I put the tube in a heat resistant wire sleeve. Then I zip tied it away from heat sources.

7. Now, back inside the car. Put the Roush Gauge pod into the vent hole. Now connect The oil line and wires to the back of the gauge and slide gauge into pod.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

2006 Mustang GT - Vista Blue w/ white Stripes.
Mods- Borla Stingers Axle backs, SHR Lower Grille inserts, Sequential Taillights, 14" Black Antenna, JLT Carbon Fiber 110mm CAI, SCT SF3 Tuner with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Shelby Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
good write up...but id take it alllll back out and replace it with copper tubeing if i were you... JUST A SUGGESTION

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'm not so sure about the copper, I've had one vibrate and crack, spraying oil. The nylon should actually last longer if kept away from heat.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
we used brake lines on my dudes car.

flare, bend tape install.

i cant wait to test mine i got fuel oil press and a volts to my boost a pump.

i put them in my gauge pod, and i was dissapointed in the fit.

way too tight on 2 and loose on the 3rd i hope they work cause the gauges WILL get damaged if they gotta come back out. thats not cool, 2 are slightly damaged cause i had to pry them out to turn them right side up...god i hope the wires are wired in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page