OEM HID Headlight swap? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Question OEM HID Headlight swap?

Hi, I have a 2010 Grabber Blue GT and I wanted the Factory HID headlights. If I found a set of Takeoff HID's from another 2010-11 How much work would be involved to make them work with my car?

2010, GT Premium, Grabber blue, Electronics package, 5 speed, 3.73s, AR LTH's, Catted X-Pipe, 3" exhaust, Bassani mufflers, Airaid CAI, SCT tune, Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter, Performance clutch, Boss 302 Front/rear Fascia, H&R SS drop springs, DIY Boss grille, Gold 19" SVE rims, Custom hood stripe, matte black roof, Roush rocker splitters, Ford Racing tow hook kit, and SIGNED BY VAUGHN GITTIN JR!

SOON: Front adjustable splitter, RTR rear splitter, BOOST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Surely somebody out there has been curious about this besides me? I know I cant be the only one who wants to switch them out! Anybody have any idea how much work is involved? Anybody?

2010, GT Premium, Grabber blue, Electronics package, 5 speed, 3.73s, AR LTH's, Catted X-Pipe, 3" exhaust, Bassani mufflers, Airaid CAI, SCT tune, Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter, Performance clutch, Boss 302 Front/rear Fascia, H&R SS drop springs, DIY Boss grille, Gold 19" SVE rims, Custom hood stripe, matte black roof, Roush rocker splitters, Ford Racing tow hook kit, and SIGNED BY VAUGHN GITTIN JR!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Anyone out there?

|2011 Mustang GT 5.0L | 3.73 | Brembo Package | Race Red |

Mods: Borla Cat-back S-Type Exhaust | Barton Shifter

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

lol Im guessing we're the only ones who have considered this...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

U swapping out the headlamps with it or just the bulbs. Either way I would assume that the wiring is the same. If you get the headlamps and the lights wont wire the same then buy some aftermarket HID bulbs and it will be the same basically.

ddmtuning.com has them cheap. make sure if you go this route to get the apexicone kit with hi/lo bulbs

05 Mustang GT - Performance Mods - Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Diablosport Tuner, Eibach Multi-pro R-2 coilovers , Max. Motors. camber plates and bumpsteer
Appearance Mods - 20" Shelby Razor wheels (Gunmetal with polished lip), flat black fender stripes
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I was talking about the factory HID's You cant find them for less than $800, at least I couldnt anyway... I read somewhere else that you had to replace the entire harness and that the dealership would charge $5000 to do the swap. I found that hard to believe so thats why I came here to look for help. I dont really want to change the bulbs to HID tho, I thought about buying the Raxiom Projector headlights but I really dont know if I want to go aftermarket. I love the clean look of OEM parts...

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010
GT Member

I'd suspect the harnesses are different. The HID-equipped cars have a relay mounted on the passenger-side strut tower, and the wires merge with the major harnesses in the engine compartment on their way to the lamps themselves.

The photo is the lid-off version. Item is affixed to the passenger-side strut tower, bolted-on through two holes that are bare in some models.
The car has HID headlamps. I have the wiring diagrams and shop manuals, but hadn't made an effort to discover what this thing does. (Possibly the "Fog Lamps" relays? NOPE). This is called "Auxiliary Relay Box 1", and it controls the HID headlamps. Mystery solved.
Numbers on the two plugged-in items are:
F57B-14B192-AA
A small relay, ubiquitous among Ford models.
Inside the lid:
E-434E / E -1826C EPC

You got to figure that a factory-installed option that costs $600 or so is going to be very expensive, part-by-part. I'm afraid the alternative is aftermarket lighting, with all the attendant cautions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4326521528_e5f6ed597c_o.jpg
Views:	2327
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	111675  

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Would these part numbers still be relevant to the 2010 model? I know the company Osram does the lighting on the new body fords so I think I may have to buy the Osram Ballast for the wiring harness...

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but I'll relay my experience to you...
I tried to put the OEM HIDs from my '08 GT into my '06 GT (which obviously did not come with HIDs). Firstly, the plugs don't match up. However, you can cut that to make it fit (which we did). But once they were all installed and wired, they kept flashing off and on. I speculate that it was a headlight wiring issue - that the '06 was not wired the same as the '08.
I abandoned the idea and sold the HIDs (to someone who probably didn't realize what I did, but, hey, what a person intends to do with something they buy is not my problem).

Good luck! I hope you can accomplish your goal.

2008 Mustang GT Premium, coupe, GT500-esque conversion, standard, torch red w/dark charcoal interior, K&N CAI, BBK twin 62mm throttle body, BBK tuned shorty headers, SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Preloaded Custom Tuner, Steeda UDPs, MGW shifter, 18" chrome GT500 wheels, turn signal side mirrors. Torch Red Registry #249

2013 Lexus RX350, 270 HP V6, Fire Agate/Parchment

Apprentice
S197 Member

I'm just glad my car came with the HID's...but it may be easier to just trade for a car with factory HID's????
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I bought my 2010 GT used about a month ago and It had most of the options I wanted so I wasnt going to be too picky about it because I got a GREAT deal on it, so I dont think I'll be trading it in any time soon. But I think I have pretty much decided to keep the standard headlights on it, I dont want to spend about 1000 in parts to not know if it will even work. Thanks for the help tho!

Apprentice
S197 Member

Yes...it's a shame it's not an easy swap...like a harness from a wrecked-em yard then buy new lights?

But I'm thinking if nobody here has done it, it's probably very difficult...or too expensive?
DTK
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabberbluemach View Post
I bought my 2010 GT used about a month ago and It had most of the options I wanted so I wasnt going to be too picky about it because I got a GREAT deal on it, so I dont think I'll be trading it in any time soon. But I think I have pretty much decided to keep the standard headlights on it, I dont want to spend about 1000 in parts to not know if it will even work. Thanks for the help tho!
I'd wait a little for the Ford hid kits to come out for the +2010.

They do have one for the 2005-2009 cars and it comes with the necessary harness for a plug and play install.
If you get a set off of an existing car there is a bit of cutting and splicing to do and as already posted it may not even work then.

Here is a link to one of the vendors selling the HID kit in case anyone's interested.
Ford OEM HID Upgrade Kit for Ford Mustang

'14 California Special convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2010 gt , conversion , headlights , hid headlights , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page