2005 mustang gt cylinder head temp sensor - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2005 mustang gt cylinder head temp sensor

I have a 2005 gt mustang which utilizes cylinder head temp sensor technology (not h2o censor). I have had consistent problems with it and do not trust it. Lets just say I'd like a back up. I'm thinking about installing a h2o gauage myself as a back up. Has anyone done this and if so where did u moount the h2o sensor and do they already have a kit for this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
PONY Member

Just put one of these into one of your radiator hoses and you can put your sensor in it.

Water Temperature Sender Attachments

300 stroker @ 11:1 compression, FRPP Stage 2 heads, 127300 cams, 4r70W, Kooks 1 3/4" lt's with 3" H mid-pipe, FRPP stinger mufflers, B&M ratchet shifter, UPR LCA's, JPC race UCA. E-Force TVS. Engine built by Everett's specialty repair, tuned by Manuel @ tudyno.com 9.98 @ 136.55 1.39 60'
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Best is to mount it directly in a freeze plug in the block.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Since you have a 2005, your problems are probably due to a faulty stepper motor in the temp gauge, not the cylinder head temp sensor. A separate water temp sensor is still not a bad idea, but you may want to also get the stepper motors replaced in your instrument cluster.

Another option would be to buy a ScanGauge II and leave it plugged in to the OBD-II port. It reads the same inputs that are providing data to the car's ECU, and it can be set up to provide up to four gauge readings while you are driving.

Bruce
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

An Aeroforce Interceptor would do the same.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Even if you fix the stepper motor in the panel the stock gauge is worthless. After my SC install the Rad fans were not working. I did not know it until I installed my Water Temp gauge the next day. The temp got to 240 deg around town and the stock gauge was happy stuck in the middle position. Dont know what temp it needs to show the needle on the hot side but it sure is nice to see the actual temp on the WT gauge. The stock unit is nothing but an idiot light with a needle. GA

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

+1... The OEM temp gauge is nothing more than an idiot light with a needle.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page