Steeda Bumpsteer kit install problems - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Steeda Bumpsteer kit install problems

So I made the mistake of leaving my 05 GT at a local shop to do the install of the steeda bumpsteer and x-2 ball joints. They called me and said that the ends were too long and they had to cut off around 1/4-inch to get the toe in spec. Normally, I stay to watch any work that is done [if I don't do it myself].

Forget the extra money they demanded for this with an explanation of "custom parts sometimes require custom work".

Can anyone chime in with any ideas of what is really wrong?

Car seems to drive fine, but the steering wheel is turned right slightly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeelia View Post
So I made the mistake of leaving my 05 GT at a local shop to do the install of the steeda bumpsteer and x-2 ball joints. They called me and said that the ends were too long and they had to cut off around 1/4-inch to get the toe in spec. Normally, I stay to watch any work that is done [if I don't do it myself].

Forget the extra money they demanded for this with an explanation of "custom parts sometimes require custom work".

Can anyone chime in with any ideas of what is really wrong?

Car seems to drive fine, but the steering wheel is turned right slightly.
Hi,

I can identify with your suspicious nature, if it weren't for my having the experience.
I had the same problem with a TCP kit, when installing a total front end make-over. In my case not only did I have to extend the threads in the billet adjustment sleeves (rack side), but, had to trim a 1/2 inch off each end. The alignment shop ended up extending (tapping deeper) the threads on the tie rod side. The tie rod side is a weird 7/16 thread count, that only they had the tap for. In the end, the labor cost for this aspect was as much as the alignment.
As a tip,.....
After the alignment, have all 4 wheels "Road Force" balanced. Having done this, I eliminated an ongoing wheel imbalance, that plagued me for a number of years. It's the newest in balancing technology and not all shops have it. I found a local GoodYear dealer with the equipment.
Good Luck!

Ken
Severna Park, MD
1964 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt Resto-Mod
333 cu.in, dual Webers, CI cam, TW heads,TRI-Ys, 3.55 rear, T5z, TCP susp., real leather seating
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010

Myabe for starters you should have had the X5s and not the 2s....

Steeda X5 Ball Joint Kit - '05-'10 Ford Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page