Granatelli TB Fitting Issues! Please any advice? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Granatelli TB Fitting Issues! Please any advice?

I had problems on my throttle body throwing engine codes due to a dying TPS sensor and the throttle body also had a stripped screw hole, so I decided to buy online a new throttle body. I bought a Granatelli 62mm Twin throttle body because it comes with all the electrical and TPS sensor on it. (Ive also been hearing some pretty bad things about the company now though which is getting me nervous ) but the main issue im having is that it did not come with the rubber elbow coupler!!!! I have a JLT intake and the diameter of the elbow is about 4 1/4" inch while the TB is about 5" maybe more? The rubber JLT elbow fits better inside the TB rather than over it, so until I can find a solution Im pretty much screwed. I tried finding couplers and elbows at autozone, lowes, homedepot, checker, pepboys, ect. Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
Apprentice

Thats not cool. Its supposed to come with one. Look here: GMS Twin 62mm Aluminum Throttle Body (05-10 GT) - Natural at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Where did you buy yours from?

New Ride: 12' Ingot Silver 5.0 (A6)
Airaid Intake : GT500 Mufflers : GT500 Spoiler

Old Ride: 07' Redfire Mustang GT (Auto)
New Best (93 tune): 13.20 @ 104.01 60' 2.00
Roush CAI : SCT X3 tuned by Brenspeed (93 oct) : FRPP 3.73 Gears : Borla Stingers : BMR Suspension : D-Specs and Ultralites : GT500 Wheels : and some show parts..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I got my JLT elbow to fit over a 5" TB opening, it just takes some muscle.

"Geezer Club"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Maybe try some gojo handcleaner or dishsoap on the inside of the elbow. That's what plumbers use to put rubber couplers on cast iron pipe.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruder View Post
Maybe try some gojo handcleaner or dishsoap on the inside of the elbow. That's what plumbers use to put rubber couplers on cast iron pipe.
use very little and if you do use the gojo use the stuff without pummice (the sandy stuff) WD-40 works too and a little heat and i stress a little will help too. like by a hair dryer or heat gun set on low.

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

A little motor oil might do it and might not be as hazardous considering most cars get blowby anyway.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I got the TB online from an ebay seller, the seller is willing to give me a full refund which is nice but I would still like to get it working if I could find a proper coupling to fit it instead and save myself the hassle of reshipping and waiting. Unfortunately though I wasnt able to stretch the inlet of the JLT elbow, Its just way too small to reach over the lip of the TB. And Granatelli doesnt sell the couplings separately, I might just fabricate an adapter from another reducer coupling and just attatch it to my JLT's existing elbow. Im just concerned it the extra coupling will make clearance for the CAI because it would mean pushing out the JLT intake another 3" from the TB, I'll post pics of the results if I can get it to work out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

here is what you do, take a string and measure the circumfrence around the inlet opening then transfer that string length to a tape measurer, you then have your TB inlet size. google (as an example) Drain coupling 5" to 4" and there you go.

here is a 5" to 4" if it so happens to be the right size.

Drain Coupling, 5 to 4" Straight Adaptor, PVC Rubber

it would be best if you could find a 90* but i didn't look too hard, try AEM too.

http://www.race-mart.com/items/produ...490-detail.htm

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

*UPDATE* I contacted the ebay seller who sent me the Throttle Body and he had been very helpful and agreed to send me the extra coupling to my door at his own cost. In the mean time, Im still fabricating a coupling of my own to fit the TB on so Ill have a running vehicle. It doesnt fit very well and makes clearance for the CAI a tight squeeze but Its still a work in progress. Im using the Pluming coupling above that was suggested and a 2" long 4" diameter PVC pipe to connect the JLT elbow and coupling together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
granatelli throttle body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page