Vortech V3 - More boost needed!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Vortech V3 - More boost needed!!

I currently have the Vortech V3 non-intercooled SC @ 8psi. I am going purchase the Vortech Power Cooler intercooler upgrade that includes a 10 psi pulley with a Brenspeed tune. My question is should I go for the 12psi pulley/Mafia from Brenspeed? Is 12psi too much for the stock internals? I would like to hear from anyone running this boost level on a stock motor.

07 GT vert, Satin Silver, 5spd, premium trim, interior upgrade pkg, comfort group, GT appearance package, cloth top

ADDED: 302 Stroker, KB 2.8 Mammoth @ 20psi, DOB belt drive, E85 fed, TR6060, ATI, Cervini hood, Meziere, Pypes Long Tubes, O/R X pipe, FRPP GTA mufflers, 20" Bullitts, Eibach Springs, BMR relo brackets/UCA/LCA`s, FRPP 4.10, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to MeanChad1 Send a message via Skype™ to MeanChad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGTvert View Post
I currently have the Vortech V3 non-intercooled SC @ 8psi. I am going purchase the Vortech Power Cooler intercooler upgrade that includes a 10 psi pulley with a Brenspeed tune. My question is should I go for the 12psi pulley/Mafia from Brenspeed? Is 12psi too much for the stock internals? I would like to hear from anyone running this boost level on a stock motor.
Why don't you run a custom Air to Air intercooler like I did? You will never have to worry about cleaning out the tanks and the water getting hot because once that water gets hot in the tank you just heatsoak it and that is not good for performance at all.

If you want pictures of my set up just let me know.

2003 Mustang GT: Its blown and fully built
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

MMFF did a test on the Powercooler with temp sensors before and after the cooler and one in the water tank. On an 80F day with wide open pulls in 2nd gear the temp of the water in the tank never exceeded +10F ambient. Both types of intercooling have their pros and cons. Just curious if the stock motor can handle 12 psi of intercooled boost.

07 GT vert, Satin Silver, 5spd, premium trim, interior upgrade pkg, comfort group, GT appearance package, cloth top

ADDED: 302 Stroker, KB 2.8 Mammoth @ 20psi, DOB belt drive, E85 fed, TR6060, ATI, Cervini hood, Meziere, Pypes Long Tubes, O/R X pipe, FRPP GTA mufflers, 20" Bullitts, Eibach Springs, BMR relo brackets/UCA/LCA`s, FRPP 4.10, etc, etc.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
10lbs of boost is the max i'd run on a stock block. at 12 psi you may be living on borrowed time

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGTvert View Post
MMFF did a test on the Powercooler with temp sensors before and after the cooler and one in the water tank. On an 80F day with wide open pulls in 2nd gear the temp of the water in the tank never exceeded +10F ambient. Both types of intercooling have their pros and cons. Just curious if the stock motor can handle 12 psi of intercooled boost.
I wouldn't run 12 pounds of boost on the stock block.. as much as I would love to agree with you I know company's love to skew numbers and make there products look better then what they are. I have never owned a water to air intercooler but I have heard people saying the water gets extremely hot after a while like going to the track.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Is 12psi too much for the stock internals?
All boost isn't equal. 12 psi of boost from a positive displacement supercharger is different than 12 psi of boost from a turbocharger is different then 12 psi of boost from a centrifugal.

0.0 psi can be too much for the stock internals as in people with n/a engines can blow them...

Centrifugals are going to be more forgiving.... Your car is making boost in the upper rpms where it is less likely to experience detonation...

My car peeked at 13.84 psi. 10,000 miles and still running strong...

The forum talk was never more than ~450 rwhp with the stock internals. The guy I went to told me he knows plenty of people running 520+ rwhp on the stock internals without a problem...

If you're truly going to go that route, talk to a tuner that has experience....

Don't listen to a bunch of jamokes on a forum....

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLou View Post
All boost isn't equal. 12 psi of boost from a positive displacement supercharger is different than 12 psi of boost from a turbocharger is different then 12 psi of boost from a centrifugal.

0.0 psi can be too much for the stock internals as in people with n/a engines can blow them...

Centrifugals are going to be more forgiving.... Your car is making boost in the upper rpms where it is less likely to experience detonation...

My car peeked at 13.84 psi. 10,000 miles and still running strong...

The forum talk was never more than ~450 rwhp with the stock internals. The guy I went to told me he knows plenty of people running 520+ rwhp on the stock internals without a problem...

If you're truly going to go that route, talk to a tuner that has experience....

Don't listen to a bunch of jamokes on a forum....
And what if he blows his engine running more then 450 and doesn't have money for a new forged shortblock what does he do? I think it would be a lot better to run a safe tune with safe boost until he is able to get a forged engine. And also no engines are created equal some engines make more power then others and have higher tolerances.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
The guy I went to told me he knows plenty of people running 520+ rwhp on the stock internals without a problem
and I would not pay much attention to rwhp numbers either. 500 on one machine can be 400 on another. Rwhp numbers can be unreliable and misleading.

06 Mustang GT, 76mm turbo @ 22lbs boost, built 302, built fuel, 4r70w + transbrake, gutted, 10.0 @ 136 mph in 1/4 (sold 2011)

S550 mercedes, stock, daily driver

previoulsy owned
2002 viper gts
2006 viper coupe
2013 srt viper base (track package)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanChad1 View Post
And what if he blows his engine running more then 450 and doesn't have money for a new forged shortblock what does he do? I think it would be a lot better to run a safe tune with safe boost until he is able to get a forged engine. And also no engines are created equal some engines make more power then others and have higher tolerances.
Huh???

And what if he's running less than 450 hp with the 10 psi option and thinks he has a safe tune and still blows his engine?????

People blow engines with less than 450 hp. My point is there is no magic number....

Like I said, don't listen to a bunch of jamokes on a forum. If he's truly going to go that route, talk to a tuner that has experience....

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forensicsteve View Post
and I would not pay much attention to rwhp numbers either. 500 on one machine can be 400 on another. Rwhp numbers can be unreliable and misleading.
Absolutely.......

GT Member

Be very careful, I blew mine at 7.5 psi running a Vortech V-2 as it was being tuned. Motors are not the same...............
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

OK the Power Cooler with 10psi pulley is on its way. I will hold off on the 12psi for now. It will take a couple weeks until I can get it installed and to the chassis dyno. Once I am all done I will post the results.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Sweet!! Keep us posted man, im curious to see how well she does with the upgrade. Good luck

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page