Mods that won't void my warranty - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mods that won't void my warranty

I'm new here, so re-direct me if this is being discussed elsewhere.

I'm looking to find out which mods will void my warranty.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

There is no stock answer to your question - it depends. Ford may decide to void the warranty on an OEM part of the car if the part failure is determined to be caused by something you added to the car. Ford does not void the warranty on the entire car at once.

For example, if you change to a very aggressive cam and then have a valve-train failure, Ford may not warranty the repairs to the valve-train, or repairs that are related to the failure (e.g., piston hits a valve, etc.). This does not affect the warranty on your transmission, your electronics, or anything else in the car that is not related to the cam change.

However, there are some activities that could cause them to void the warranty on multiple items. For example, if you are proven to be drag racing the car, you may have a lot of trouble getting the dealer to replace a clutch or a broken U-joint under warranty.

Bruce

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Fair enough. I should have clarified. I have very little interest in racing my car. My interest is getting a bit more power as more of a hobby than anything else.

I was considering some sort of upgraded intake, but I understand that would require a tune. I figure that the intake itself probably wouldn't be a big deal, warranty wise. But I'm thinking the tune may cause me issues if something in the electronics goes funny.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

A fairly standard 91 or 93 octane tune by a reputable company probably won't hurt anything. And you can always return it to stock before you take it to the dealer.

If you want to be completely sure of warranty coverage, buy the CAI and tune from Ford Racing, since its approved by Ford. However, I think it has only one non-stock tune (most tuners give you 3-5), and that tune is basically the 320 HP tune that Ford uses on the Shelby GT Mustangs. The newest version of the Ford tuner is better than the original and they have added some features. I would check the specs, and maybe it would work for what you want.

Also check with the 3rd party tuners to find out what happens if you make some changes to your car and need a new tune. Some once offered free tunes for life, but I think that deal is gone.

Bruce
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
frpp parts installed at a frpp faculity by a frpp tech paying frpp prices

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

My 09 GT has a JLT cai, Brenspeed tune, FRPP/Hurst shifter, FRPP headers, Flowmaster axlebacks. The transmission was just rebuilt by Ford under warranty due to total failure. The car has 14k on it. I would not worry too much about voiding your warranty.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Screw the warranty go FAST!

JLT CAI/BAMA tune,moto blue pullies,3:73`s,LPW girdle;Powerhouse DS,CHE safety loop,CHE LCA`S & Adjustable UCA,Kooks LT`S & O/R X Pipe,prothane MM`s,Steeda CMDP`S,Eibach springs,Tokico D specs,Polished TB(by Me),Steeda radiator support,Zex kit 100 shot. Taylor Relocation battery kit and cut off switch,PTC converter,Bogarts and Hosier QTP`S.
11:903 ET, 1.67 60`,111.897 MPH
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I like your style Bkid...If you've got to go...you might as well get there quickly!

Sounds like the warranty isn't that big of a deal as long as the upgrades are done properly...Thanks everyone.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
frpp parts installed at a frpp faculity by a frpp tech paying frpp prices
This man has it 100% correct :smoke:
If you want a way around it, a basic intake and tune is simple enough to un-do if you need to go in for warranty work. Be warned though, if so inclined they can check to see if the programming in the car has been tampered with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page