2006 Mustang GT-Starting Hesitation - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 Mustang GT-Starting Hesitation

I have a 2006 GT automatic with no mods and lately it's been having problems when I crank the engine.

When I start the engine, I hear a grinding noise from the dashboard/engine bay near the power steering fluid area. Also, the starter will crank about 0.5-1 second longer than normal to start the engine. Also sometimes the radio will completely reset as if it lost power. However, the engine throttle and transmission shifting is completely normal and doesn't show signs of the computer losing power.

I'm not sure if this is related but I also have problems with the passenger window auto up function always needing to be reset by holding it up 2 secs a couple times a week. And the passenger airbag off light keeps going off when I have a girl (95 lbs) in the seat. It will intermittently turn on and off even if she stays completely still. I've sat in it and it did the same thing (I'm 150 lbs). I'm not sure if this is all related to the starter problem.

I replaced the alternator due to P340 CEL about 7 months ago. The battery died about 2.5 years ago due to not driving it for a month. I did not replace it and simply maintain it once every few weeks with a trickle charger to top it off.

This is a lot of info, thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Your second battery could be croaking, Loose wire on starter, bad pos connection, loose pos connection in the main fuse box. Loose ground.
As far as the air bag light, have you taken it in to get the air bag reprogrammed?

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

It's actually my first battery, I did not replace it after it died, just jump started it and charged it. I'll check the connections tonight. I'm curious as to why it would buzz near the dash when I start it.

I took it in over 1 year ago for the passenger airbag reprogram recall but the light only started having problems about 3 months ago.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I would suspect you have a dead cell or two in that battery.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quick update... I changed the battery like stl suggested and the starting hesitation is gone! Thanks stl!

However, the problem with the passenger airbag light remains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page