Aftermarket Clutch w Stock Flywheel dangerous? (shatter?) - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
KDT
GT Member

The flywheel that I got from New Take Off was just like new. Perfect condition. Here is a pic. Ford just charges an absolute ridiculous price through their parts department. No sense in paying that for it. Here is a pic. Hopefully this will make you feel better.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New clutch.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	110503  

2008 Vapor Silver GT, 5 Spd Manual Brenspeed Stg 1 Edelbrock E Force, Liberty built 3650 trans w/26 spline input shaft, N2MB WOT Box, GT 500 Fuel System, Kooks Long Tubes, Dynotech Drive Shaft, 3:73 Gears, Steeda UCA & LCAs, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets, Exedy Mach 500 clutch, Nitto Drag Radials

"RWHP - enough to get from 0-95mph in 7.61 seconds"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks.
Does it have a number stamped on the flywheel JUST to make sure you know it's the right one?

I know ford also offers alum. ones and they also have different ones for diff models. I know the order number had the right one but does the box or flywheel itself have a FORD number to verify when you get it in?

BTW... my Exedy clutch came in yesterday! Mach 400.
The clutch will go in on Monday.
I still have the Exedy lightweight steel flywheel but I am waiting to ship it back for a refund until I make SURE I have made up my mind to stick with the stock heavier one.

Just for kicks...
The stock weighs 22 pounds I believe.
The Exedy weighs 16.1 pounds.
My SPEC one that I am taking off weighs 26-27.

So from stock it does not seem like the Exedy one would make that much of a difference. I am no pro so I can't be sure

But from the one I have in now... it might make a lot. I have NO experience in this so I don't know how much 10 pounds of weight loss from what I am at now would up revs and lower that initial throw back seat of your pants feel you get. Nor do I know how much it would affect daily driving.

KDT
GT Member

It's installed so there is no way I can check any numbers. However it was identical to the one that I took out. Here is a pic of the one that I removed so you can see the numbers. The Exedy flywheel is pretty much going to perform like an aluminum one because it only weighs a couple of more pounds. I personally didn't want that so that's why I just went back with a stock one. Also, I know that the Exedy clutches work great with the stock piece.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stock flywheel.JPG
Views:	617
Size:	680.3 KB
ID:	110508  

2008 Vapor Silver GT, 5 Spd Manual Brenspeed Stg 1 Edelbrock E Force, Liberty built 3650 trans w/26 spline input shaft, N2MB WOT Box, GT 500 Fuel System, Kooks Long Tubes, Dynotech Drive Shaft, 3:73 Gears, Steeda UCA & LCAs, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets, Exedy Mach 500 clutch, Nitto Drag Radials

"RWHP - enough to get from 0-95mph in 7.61 seconds"

PONY Member
S197 Member

If you're worried about your flywheel...or any clutch flywheel exploding buy a scatter shield. You can always replace a clutch and flywheel, you can't buy another leg or foot!

Mods.
M-6550-3V Cams.
Whipple HO
JBA Headers
472rhwp 435rwtq
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonballi View Post
you can't buy another leg or foot!
Sure you can, they even come in carbon fiber! That's at least an extra 15hp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ossur.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	110593  

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
'Ol spatula foot. Better, stronger, faster......

Obama whines that we don't build stuff like the Hoover Dam anymore. With his EPA in charge nothing CAN get built.....ANYMORE!

If you put the Obama administration in charge of the Sahara desert they would find a way to run out of sand in a year....-ME!
PONY Member
S197 Member

That's a prosthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post

Mods.
M-6550-3V Cams.
Whipple HO
JBA Headers
472rhwp 435rwtq
SheizaSoSay

That's hilarious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page