Lowering vs. upsizing wheels - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Lowering vs. upsizing wheels

So my 2008 already comes with a strut tower brace and it helps. The car still rolls in the corner more than I like some of which comes from the 235/55's on it. So my question is should I lower it and put lower profiles on the 17's or upsize to 18's with lower profile tires to match the diameter of the 17's? That's dilemma 1...

Dilemma 2... I will probably swap out the stock sway bars for solids 1 3/8" front and 1" rear but I am not sure what struts/shocks to run. I usually run KYB's but, on my last T-Bird, I had Tokikos and they were a very nice unit. So what shocks are best for this set up?

FYI, I usually automatically lower every car I own but as I get older, I am starting to enjoy the smoother ride (and the clearance) , more than the rougher ride.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I replaced the springs, front, back sway bars, engine strut brace and added 18" wheels. But I used the stock struts, and the car handles very well!! I will replace the struts when there time is up.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010
Rookie
S197 Member

hey bgfangs, I was thinking about the same thing today. My 17's look a little too small for my liking (on my 07 GT) so I thought about putting 18's on her to fill it in a bit, or possibly the FRPP handling package which takes it down an inch and just leave my rims stock. Both options are a little out of my price range right now, but hey a guy can always dream!

Anyway, good luck with your mods, hope all goes well!

'07 Mustang GT

"Horsepower is a money sucking addiction, but boy does it put a smile on my face"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010

By increasing the diameter of the wheel you will not automatically fill in the fender gaps. It all comes down to the overall diameter of the tire. I would shop for tires and see what sizes are offered. I ran into this problem with my 18s and found a better range of sizes for 17s and 20s. Too tall of a tire and you lose gearing and may not be visually appealing. Too short of a tire and you may have too much gearing and not enough side wall for traction. Try and find that happy medium.

You can also get an Eibach complete suspension kit which will have all the parts you need and they are designed to work together for around $800. It is basically the same specs as the FRPP package with out the Ford price tag.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010
GT Member

[email protected] has the keys right: "filling the fender cutout" depends on tire diameter and degree of lowering you can tolerate.

The tire diameter you select may change the overall gear ratio to reduce RPM at a given road speed; the compensation is to change differential ratios. If you don't want to change ratios, you'll be stuck with less acceleration but more leisurely engine work at highway speeds.

Lowering springs will very likely reduce ride comfort in some situations. "Progressive rate" springs are reputed to accommodate lowering with softer rates (better ride) at small compression values, but eventually arrive at stiffer rates (harsher ride) on larger deflections.

I used Steeda Sport springs for a couple years, and thought they were a good compromise. Squid recently recommended Steeda Ultralites (constant rate) as a good combination with slightly upgraded shocks and struts (GT500 takeoffs). I have no experience with either of those.

The Tokico D-specs worked well with the Steeda Sports. My current decision process resulted in FRPP "P" springs, progressive but only lowered the car by a half-inch front and three-quarters rear, pretty much the same final rate as the "K" springs (and Steeda Sports, by my senses). With the Koni Sport struts and shocks the ride is not much deteriorated on the highway, but does level the car in cornering, acceleration, and braking. No significant changes in normal ride height, so no additional speed-bump or driveway scraping.

PS: Pictures with 18x8.5 "Fanblades" in my gallery.
<---

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)

Last edited by FYouGitive; 09-20-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: PS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page