2006 Mustang GT borla cat back with borla x pipe? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2006 Mustang GT borla cat back with borla x pipe?

Does anyone have or have videos of the borla stinger catback and the borla x pipe? I have the catback system and ive been researching what type x pipe to get. But i can't find a video anywhere or any posts with it. Most people buy a different brand x pipe. Is there a reason for this? Or just because borla is a little expensive?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010
GT Member

For the most part, all catted x-pipes will sound the same and all o/r x pipes will sound the same with the exception of bassani. Their x-pipes have more of a "clam shell", so it will have a slightly different tone.

RIP 2006 Mustang GT
New Ride 04 Pontiac GTO
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Different how? Is it deeper or louder or something?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTSpider View Post
Different how? Is it deeper or louder or something?
It's not any louder. It's supposed to have it's own unique sound. It may be slightly deeper than other X-pipes as it's design less of an x and more of a box. It's almost like a mini prochamber. I had one of the most reputable shops in San Diego install my x-pipe because I wanted my cats welded in and when I tried to cut the legs for the cats, It was slightly off. Anyway the owner-Ed Hanson, was one of the pioneers of the X-pipe. He said the x-pipe design of the bassani was inferior in terms of flow to other x-pipes.

RIP 2006 Mustang GT
New Ride 04 Pontiac GTO
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I've been listening to a lot of sound clips. And my favorite ones actually had an h pipe instead of an x pipe. Sounds a little deeper which is what I'm looking for. Will a catted h pipe sound a lot different than an o/r h pipe?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010
GT Member

Cats will make the car quieter but with any O/R midpipe you will get trumpeting which is this blaring sound at 2000 to 2500 RPMS. In order to get rid of this you will need to have resonators installed. Resonators basically smooth out the sound and get ride of a lot of the negative sound such as trumpeting an drone. The whole X-pipe vs H-pipe has been debated a lot. In general, X-pipes go well with straight through mufflers like borla stingers and h-pipes go well with chambered like MAC. Straight through mufflers also sound good with the H pipe but chambered mufflers only sound okay with a catted X. If it's on O/R X than chambered mufflers tend to sound very raspy.

RIP 2006 Mustang GT
New Ride 04 Pontiac GTO
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well im looking for deep and loud when i get on it but not when im just barely giving it gas. And I wanted to keep it legal. I was thinking a pypes h pipe and pypes high flow cats. Would i need a resonator if i got the cats? And would the cats supress the sound from the h pipe completely or will there be a noticeable difference in sound?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010
GT Member

Cats will get rid of the trumpeting. I had and o/r prochamber and magnapacks. It would trumpet at 2000-2500 RPMs. I had hi-flow cats welded in and it got rid of the trumpeting. It also gave it a deeper tone and took away alot of harshness. As far as loudness, hi-flows are inbetween the stock catted h and an o/r h or x. I would drive the car without resonators first and see if you like it or not.

RIP 2006 Mustang GT
New Ride 04 Pontiac GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page