best cowl hood quality--hail damage replacement - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

best cowl hood quality--hail damage replacement

My 'vert got hit pretty hard with baseball-sized hail last weekend. The hood and passenger side of the car got the worst of it. I think some PDR will take care of the sides and decklid, but the hood looks like the moon. I'm thinking I'll just get a new cowl or other fancy style hood and put some stripes on the car too. What's the best quality manufacturer everyone's seen so far?

I've read the horror story on here about Seibon hoods, but I'm not totally turned off of the carbon option. I've seen Harwood hoods for years and they seem decent. I really like the Steeda and Cervinis looks too.

2006 Legend Lime GT 5M Premium Convertible. All Motor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Cervinis is a great choice.

2006 Mustang GT - premium, 5spd, charcoal leather/dash, IUP, Shaker 500, spoiler delete

484 rwhp / 446 tq - Mods: Whipple HO, Custom tune by Tillman Speed, SOS pod w/Cobalt gauges, Kooks LT's w/catted X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth, FRPP Handling Pack, Hurst Shifter (chrome w/black ball), Zinik Z9 Sabini Black Lip 20", BFGoodrich 255/35/20 KDW 2, Eleanor front grille, Cervinis 2.5 cowl hood, clear corner/rear side marker lenses w/stealth bulbs, sequential tail lights.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Whichever cowl you choose, do not go taller than 3 inches, for a street car.

My Cervini cowl has been excellent since installed in 2006. Zero issues and despite pretty violent launches at the dragstrip, no need for hood pins. Expect 140+ in the 1/4 with new build and still no plans for pins. Hood is steady as a rock

06 Mustang GT, 76mm turbo @ 22lbs boost, built 302, built fuel, 4r70w + transbrake, gutted, 10.0 @ 136 mph in 1/4 (sold 2011)

S550 mercedes, stock, daily driver

previoulsy owned
2002 viper gts
2006 viper coupe
2013 srt viper base (track package)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
I like Vervinis styled products. They have great quality. I also like the heat extractor SVT style hood made by MRT i believe.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010
GT Member

TruFiber makes a quality hood. I'm very pleased with mine.

Obama whines that we don't build stuff like the Hoover Dam anymore. With his EPA in charge nothing CAN get built.....ANYMORE!

If you put the Obama administration in charge of the Sahara desert they would find a way to run out of sand in a year....-ME!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010
PONY Member

I love the quality of my Cervinis hood as well. It's quite heavy, but rock solid. No hood pins on mine either.

300 stroker @ 11:1 compression, FRPP Stage 2 heads, 127300 cams, 4r70W, Kooks 1 3/4" lt's with 3" H mid-pipe, FRPP stinger mufflers, B&M ratchet shifter, UPR LCA's, JPC race UCA. E-Force TVS. Engine built by Everett's specialty repair, tuned by Manuel @ tudyno.com 9.98 @ 136.55 1.39 60'
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcrafty View Post
My 'vert got hit pretty hard with baseball-sized hail last weekend. The hood and passenger side of the car got the worst of it. I think some PDR will take care of the sides and decklid, but the hood looks like the moon. I'm thinking I'll just get a new cowl or other fancy style hood and put some stripes on the car too. What's the best quality manufacturer everyone's seen so far?

I've read the horror story on here about Seibon hoods, but I'm not totally turned off of the carbon option. I've seen Harwood hoods for years and they seem decent. I really like the Steeda and Cervinis looks too.
Stay away from Harwood and trufiber - fit and finish is poor with not enough layers of fiberglass. Cervinis is top notch with steeda 2nd.

2006 Auto Mustang GT: FRPP Shorty Headers, Hot Rod Cams, JDM Tuned Saleen Supercharger 3.6 pulley, Tru-trac with 3:73 Rear Gears, Bassani Catted X-Pipe and Magnaflow Mufflers. Suspension: Vogtland Springs, BMR - LCA, Adj. Panhard Bar with Support, A-arm Brace, Progress Technology front & rear sway bars, Steeda - frame rail and torque box brace, adjustable upper 3rd link, bump steer kit, front control arm bushing kit, & Tokicko D-Specs.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006BlackGT View Post
Stay away from Harwood and trufiber - fit and finish is poor with not enough layers of fiberglass. Cervinis is top notch with steeda 2nd.
I have to disagree on that point. My bodyman swore he would never mess with another Cervini hood because he had to return 2 before a usable 3rd arrived. His only complaint about my TruFiber was thin gel coat in some places.

Obama whines that we don't build stuff like the Hoover Dam anymore. With his EPA in charge nothing CAN get built.....ANYMORE!

If you put the Obama administration in charge of the Sahara desert they would find a way to run out of sand in a year....-ME!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I have to disagree on that point. My bodyman swore he would never mess with another Cervini hood because he had to return 2 before a usable 3rd arrived. His only complaint about my TruFiber was thin gel coat in some places.

Fair enough but I have had a few buddies with the opposite experience. One advantage that I do have with Cervinis is that they are less than an hour from my house and will trial fit the hood for you onsite at no charge.

2006 Auto Mustang GT: FRPP Shorty Headers, Hot Rod Cams, JDM Tuned Saleen Supercharger 3.6 pulley, Tru-trac with 3:73 Rear Gears, Bassani Catted X-Pipe and Magnaflow Mufflers. Suspension: Vogtland Springs, BMR - LCA, Adj. Panhard Bar with Support, A-arm Brace, Progress Technology front & rear sway bars, Steeda - frame rail and torque box brace, adjustable upper 3rd link, bump steer kit, front control arm bushing kit, & Tokicko D-Specs.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006BlackGT View Post
Fair enough but I have had a few buddies with the opposite experience. One advantage that I do have with Cervinis is that they are less than an hour from my house and will trial fit the hood for you onsite at no charge.

I think there are just bad batches of product from time to time from all manufacturers. Cervini's was having problems with their ducktail spoiler because of bad urethane I think. The original DCF spoiler I got for mine didn't come close to fitting due to bad materials causing warpage as it cured.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Steeda is better...
No Cervini is better!
No Steeda is better!!
Well my brothers cousins boyfriends sisters landlord said Cervini fits bad...

You’re going to get 50/50 split opinions on Steeda and Cervini... I suggest buying the one you think looks best... In my opinion that would be Steeda & I also have been 100% satisfied with all my Steeda purchases.

2007Alloy Gt Auto - Vroom Vroom
Apprentice

i had a cervinis 4 inch cowl on my old 2005 coup. it was a street car. im 6'3" and i sit high so i have no problem seeing over the hood, just takes getting used to.. which is a couple days.

i had no problem in the fitment or quality of the hood. fit perfectly and very durable.
Rookie

Thumbs up replacement hood

HO fibertrends if looking for a fiberglass hood
Apprentice

Ive heard bad things about every manufacturers, i think that you should pick the one you like but i agree dont go taller than 3 inches. If you had a problem with the one you picked out, send it back untill you get a goo quaility one

2005 Mustang Gt, K&N cold air intake, Flowmasters, SCT Livewire, and black Cobra wheels
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It's a crap shoot, make sure you inspect the hood before accepting it and test fit it before painting. I've not heard of too many horror stories from some of the main distributors: abcexclusive, mrbodykit, or cervini's. I bought 2 chin spoilers from cervinis with no issues at all. When I go to do a hood I will most likely get it from them prepainted. I figure if they make it they will be the best choice to paint it.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
carbon fiber , cowl hood , fiberglass , quality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page