Suspension question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Suspension question

OK after lowering the stang, will it affect the front end sway bar end link? I was getting the clunk from them, and snugged em down real good. Fixed for now. Been talking with UnleashedBeast and figure putting a jam nut on the current one will keep the OEM nut from coming lose again. He is getting the same issue. But is it just better to get a set of new adjustable's since the length may be off now. Due to lowering the car.
If a jam nut, and maybe roughing up the shock metal and the back of the nut will fix things so be it. But if this is just a band-aid and not a cure I don't want to waste the time.

2009 Vapor silver GT Glass roof, 5 speed, Hurst short throw, SCT custom dyno tune, JLT CAI,Custom made oil separator, Steeda UDP,Steeda fixed LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, J&M adj UCA, Steeda Sport lowering springs,Steeda HD upper strut mounts, GT 500 Struts and shocks, Boom tubes axel backs, Ford racing 3.73's, Shaftmaster Alum 1pc driveshaft,Competition Engineering safety loop, Nitto 555's. 300.54 RWHP and 310.88 RWTQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010
GT Member

I've put blue LocTite on mine and had no subsequent problems.

I don't think lowering will have an important effect on the action of the links.

Seems to me the problem is the need to hold the center peg stable while you crank the nut with a crowfoot makes it difficult to get the correct torque on it. I've ordered the adjustables from Strano Performance Parts. They use hex wrenches in a bolt through the rod end so the nut is more accessible by the 19mm socket on your torque wrench.

Second from the bottom in this list:

Strano Performance Parts - Parts Search

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
Apprentice

Vapor, I've also considered this fix. As I told you, I finally replaced the upper sway bar nut with brand new OEM from Ford. It made things a little quieter, but the problem is still existent.

*Before you buy the adjustable sway bar links, remove the sway bar completely to see if the clunk goes away. Another member here said his clunk went away when he removed the sway bar.*

My car DID NOT clunk like this until I lowered it. I'm guessing the new GT500 upper strut mounts I bought are the old version, and the Steeda HD camber mounts are of no help at all. The original strut mounts removed from my car are the "black stud" version which are the latest, and they were dead silent. I really love the adjust ability of the Steeda mounts, but I may try to install the original used strut mounts to see if the clunking goes away. I've read of another member who's been through everything I have step by step, and the updated OEM mounts solved his problem. I don't mind going back to camber bolts if this darn clunk would just GO AWAY!

2009 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hey Vapor. I don't want to hijack but I wanted your opinion. I've decided I will use my Roush springs (1" drop at all four corners) after all and I'm looking at the GT500 suspension kit that "greenleaf" has on ebay. They knocked down the price to $130 and that includes delivery. I basically just want to use the struts and shocks, not the sway bar or tower brace. I am thinking I will be needing the SVT strut mounts too. Should I be fine with that, I want to avoid clunking. Thanks again.

Boise, Idaho
U.S. Navy (Retired)
Treasure Valley Mustang and Ford Club Member
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Well, I tried UnleashedBeast idea. And the clunk was null after removing the sway bar. So it is not the upper strut mounts. I like the look of those links from Strano. But won't the rod ends increase the road noise? They don't have any bushing. But if they stop the clunk I'm all in.

As for the SVT vs Steeda or even stock strut mount popping, I had that before I put the Steeda HD mounts. And it is a totally different type of noise AND feeling. The strut issue is like a popping twang you can feel, and occurs while turning the wheels from stop to stop point. The link is more like a rattle while going over a small bump. It does not occur while in a hard corner or going over the same bump fast.

Truth be told I think the strano's are gonna be the way. The OEM's are just a crap design.

2009 Vapor silver GT Glass roof, 5 speed, Hurst short throw, SCT custom dyno tune, JLT CAI,Custom made oil separator, Steeda UDP,Steeda fixed LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, J&M adj UCA, Steeda Sport lowering springs,Steeda HD upper strut mounts, GT 500 Struts and shocks, Boom tubes axel backs, Ford racing 3.73's, Shaftmaster Alum 1pc driveshaft,Competition Engineering safety loop, Nitto 555's. 300.54 RWHP and 310.88 RWTQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page