Bought 2010 GT 5 speed 3.73 Tune worth it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Bought 2010 GT 5 speed 3.73 Tune worth it?

Need help guys, I bought a 2010 Mustang GT, only options Candy Apple Red and 3.73 gears 5 speed manual. Would a tune be worth getting? How much difference does it make and should I also do the CAI? I used to own a 2001 Bullitt and drag raced it some, Tremec 3650 rebuilt 3 times so I decided not to tear this one up ( I do not trust the Tremec transmission) and because of health reasons will not drag race anymore. What should this car totally stock turn in the 1/4 mile before and after a tune assuming a good launch and shifts. It feels much stronger than my Bullitt did. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

If it came out of the factory with 3.73 than no, you dont need a tune and an aftermarket tune would be near pointless. Now, if you do get a name brand CAI with a tune stating you have 3.73 than you can get anywhere from 15-30 hp depending on how well Ford tunes there factory 3.73 gears :p.

2001 GT Mustang

Cheers!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I wrote the thread to find out how quick the 2010 GT with 3.73 gears is in the quarter mile stock. I also wanted to know how much difference a tune would make and is a CAI worth buying. Thanks

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010
PONY Member

I've not been to the track...yet so i don't have a 1/4 mile time for you, but i do have a '10 with an SCT/Bama tune..and love it.
much more snap off the line, nasty power through mid range on up.
really helped my auto shift points, Ford settings aint the best.

you'll need a tune if you get the CAI anyway....American Muscle's "free tunes for life" is a good way to go in my opinion

good luck

2010 GT500. Kona blue. It's loud. It's clean. And I love it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Smile

Thanks for your reply. My GT is Candy Apple Red 5 speed stick and like I said, I will not be drag racing it. The local drag strip, Quaker City Dragway in Salem Ohio will probably be closed down anyway as it is being auctioned off this month. I would really appreciate more info on 1/4 mile times for the 2010 GT. I talked to one guy who ran a 13.34 at 105 stock, but the only other times were from the magazine tests.
That info on the tune is what I was looking for. I had an 84 Monte Carlo SS that I put an 87 Grand National turbo v6 in it and a chip change made a big difference, but it raised the boost, which we can't do on our cars. By the way, the Monte SS ran an easy 12.50's with street tires and 93 octain gas. Love driving the Mustang, though. Light years ahead of the Monte.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010
Site Sponsor

A cold air intake and tune package is probably the best thing that you can do. It'll be a night and day difference, I promise you. Give our Bama Custom Tuning reps a call directly Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764. They'll take good care of you! Make sure you ask them lots of questions. They're a really good database to have.

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I've got an FRPP CAI on my '09, & I used to run their ProCal tune. It had much better throttle response than stock. Then I put a Brenspeed 93 octane tune on it, & it's like a different car. I couldn't be happier. Their customer service is excellent, & they're right up the road in northern Indiana. They offer free tunes for life on any mods purchased from them.

US Navy (Retired)

2009 GT500 - Black, stripe delete, HID's, Shaker 1K, GT500 PTP. Brenspeed Stage 2 power package (JLT CAI, Metco 2.6" pulley, NGK plugs, tune), Barton shifter, FRPP lowering springs, 2010 GT500 wheels & tires.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
GT Member

Seems like with the 2010's newer factory CAI you would get most of the power with just a tune.

I think it's going to be worth it. I am going to order one when I get home in a few weeks and run 93 Oct. Everyone on this forums says they are great. I guess if everyone says they like them, it can't be bad!!!

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

That's what I am thinking too! Most of the change would be from the tune. I'll call American Muscle Monday. By the way, what track did you run the 13.90 at? My stock 2001 Bullitt ran 14.20's at Quaker City in Salem, Ohio and that track is 2 tenths slower than other strips in the area as it goes up hill at the end! My 2010 feels much quicker, especially with the 3.73 gears. I still am afraid I will have trouble with the Tremec 3650, like I did in the Bullitt.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have 3.73s and a C&L CAI with a custom 93 AM tune (SCT Programmer). I have not been to the track either but there is a night and day difference in performance from 0 - 90 mph. It is totally worth having the throttle response and midrange power. The only thing I dislike about the tune and gears is that around 110 mhp the car seems to stop pulling as hard. I also noticed that my car is much more spirited when you drive it in sport mode.

On another note, I test drove a 5.0 today and the factory tune sucks. It will be mandatory to get a tune to enjoy the extra ponies in my opinion.

=====-------------------==============------
2010 Mustang GT Premium
3.73 Gears
19" Wheels
MagnaFlow Axlebacks - 16573
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

That's what I was looking for, real world experience on what difference the CAI and tune make. Does anybody have any other quarter mile times between tune and no tune on a 2010 stick with 3.73's? Also, does the CAI really make a difference or is most of the feel in the tune? Thanks!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8borerifle View Post
That's what I am thinking too! Most of the change would be from the tune. I'll call American Muscle Monday. By the way, what track did you run the 13.90 at? My stock 2001 Bullitt ran 14.20's at Quaker City in Salem, Ohio and that track is 2 tenths slower than other strips in the area as it goes up hill at the end! My 2010 feels much quicker, especially with the 3.73 gears. I still am afraid I will have trouble with the Tremec 3650, like I did in the Bullitt.
Thunder Road Raceway near Shreveport Louiaiana. The temp was around 70 I think and the elevation was about 200-300 ft above sea level.

I launched around 2K and shifted at 6500 RPM which is too high for a stock engine. Thats redline and the 4.6 just falls off after 6K. Most people on here told me I most likely would have picked up some better times shifting at about 6K.

My car was bone stock running 87 Octane I believe with a set of Flowmaster axel backs. Pretty good base line of 13.9 IMO. I am going to add a 92/93 Brenspeed Race Tune, catted x-pipe and a K&N filter when I get home. I'll have to ask Brenspeed where the power runs out, but I plan on shifting around 6K. My goal is to hit 13.5 or lower with a 2.0 60ft.

Not to hi-jack, but maybe someone here can tell us what the optimal RPM to shift at is with a Race tune?????

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
PONY Member

A CAI and Tune will make a huge difference. I just installed a JLT CAI and 93 OCT performance tune from AM yesterday and could not be any happier.

2007 Silver GT, manual
3.55 Gears, Shaftmaster 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, Borla Stingers, Pacesetter ceramic Long Tube Headers, Pacesetter catted H pipe, Steeda UDPs, JLT CAI, MGW short throw shifter and Bama 93 Oct Street tune

2001 Laser Red GT, automatic (293RWHP, 310RWTQ) Gone but not forgotten.
GT Member

I have a 2010 GT with 3.73 and a tune alone made a huge difference. I choose not to go with CAI as I will SC this winter and use a different CAI with the install. But I didn't want to wait out the full summer without a tune and I am glad I didn't. The throttle response and drive ability has significantly improved. The car feels faster and can spin up my 315 Invos going into second with suspension mods.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
A CAI and Tune will make a huge difference. I just installed a JLT CAI and 93 OCT performance tune from AM yesterday and could not be any happier.
Awesome, glad you're happy with it!

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page