Royal purple 5w-30w - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Royal purple 5w-30w

Hello all,

I started searching this forum to find how hard it is to change a cam out on an 07 gt. One of the cam followers on my sisters car(intake no 1) failed and took out the cam. come to find out it wasnt hard at all and only took me a couple of hours. but that is not the point of this thread. The point is, when i went to change the oil after changing out the cam, cam follower and lifter. i found she was using royal purple 5w-30w and didnt think nothing of it till now.

this morning i was looking up oil for my mustang and found that ford recomends 5-20, not 5-30 or 40 because of the tight tolerenced in the upper end. I will be recomending 5-20 to her today and probably not RP. I am partial to mobile 1

I am niether looking for advice or confirmation, just letting you all know. So please dont chastise me for not doing a search

PS: I did it without the use of fords 400 dollar tools either. you can wire up the cam timing chain with stainless safety wire, and i built a valve spring compression tool out of a piece of 1/8" x 2 flat bar

Troy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Very good information. Ford also reccomends semi-synthetic rather than full synthetic in their 2005-2010 4.6 engines for the same reason.
A member here awhile back dyno'd his car using both types and found he lost HP with the full synthetic oil.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

After you run full synthetic can you go to a semi synthetic. I was always told once you went full synthetic you couldn't go back.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmanta View Post

PS: I did it without the use of fords 400 dollar tools either. you can wire up the cam timing chain with stainless safety wire, and i built a valve spring compression tool out of a piece of 1/8" x 2 flat bar

Troy
Can you post some picks and a description of how you made the copression tool.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

5w30 will be fine. in modulars, they've always had tight clearances, that's why you don't or shouldn't use anything like 10W30 or so on. 5w30, to me, is better and ford suggests 5w20 more for fuel economy than anything. Cams swap isn't the hard part, taking out the spring retainers was harder but doable. going to a full or semi is fine but stick to it.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

people keep telling me royal purple isnt good on mustangs, is this true? also i use castrol fully synthetic 5w-30 in my 99 cobra, it has 116k miles on it. should i be using a different weight and different oil?

Red 1999 Cobra Vert:

316.6 rwhp @ 6093 rpms
318.1 rwtq @ 4489 rpms

On Just Bolt-Ons And Stock Exhaust Manifolds.

See Profile For Mods.......
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Nope, stick to it and that weight. I've heard not to use RP in the engine awhile back. alot of mustang guys or even some great mechanics don't recommend or use RP, usually amsoil. I heard the Castrol syn is really good but to use the german one not USA one. Hard to find though.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

ok, thanks, sounds good.

Red 1999 Cobra Vert:

316.6 rwhp @ 6093 rpms
318.1 rwtq @ 4489 rpms

On Just Bolt-Ons And Stock Exhaust Manifolds.

See Profile For Mods.......
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
GT Member

The only thing I heard bad about Royal Purple was that for the price its no better than other synthetics. There was also some claims of certain weights shearing after 8000 miles. I would use it as I change my oil at 3000 miles synthetic or not just to see whats going on in the oil.

When I installed my Saleen Super Shaker the Saleen instructions call for th use of a synthetic 5W 30 oil. I had not gone that rote and still use the Ford Motorcraft 5W 20 blend as if Ford engineers think its good enough, its good wnough for me.

A great site is Bobistheoilguy. They really get into the technical aspects of oil. And Royal Purple threads are long and well argued over. But there is no definitive thread stating and coming to the conclusion with facts that Royal Purple is a bad oil. These guys use oil anaylisys sheets (Sending your used oil to a lab and they report whats going on with it) to back up their claims about different oils.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

ok here you go. dont laugh. i dont have a plasma cutter and when i went to use the torch, i found the oxygen bottle empty. I used to work in a logging camp as a mechanic. our moto was "we've so much with so little, we can do anything with nothing now".

I just cut a gap in the flatbar to fit the cam then placed the base on the top of the spring and cammed it over until i could get the follower out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct_16_2010_5282.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	113296  
Apprentice
S197 Member

Ive only used Royal Purple and Motorcraft on my car. I've never had any problems with RP... The only thing negative I've heard about it is the price. I just threw some Mobil 1 in on my last oil change because of the price. 5 qts of full synthetic for $21 at Wal-Mart!
With regards to the use of full or partial synthetic in the Mustangs, its best to use conventional oil for engine break in, and also for the first 5,000 miles of engine life. After that use whatever you want. I like full synthetic so thats what i use.

Proud Vet!
B co. 1/32 INF
10th Mountain Division

Operation Enduring Freedom #7 (Feb 2006 - Jun 2007)

BTW VetteHunter = Corvette Hunter

(Someone accused me of being a Chevy Man!)
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteHunter View Post
With regards to the use of full or partial synthetic in the Mustangs, its best to use conventional oil for engine break in, and also for the first 5,000 miles of engine life. After that use whatever you want.
There is no break-in period for modern engines. In fact, many cars come off the assembly line filled with synthetic oil.

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch View Post
A member here awhile back dyno'd his car using both types and found he lost HP with the full synthetic oil.
Would like to see that link if you can find it

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to gunz4me
I've gone between Royal Purple 5w 20 and Mobil 1 5w 20. Never had any issues with either oil.

The Dodge dealership that I purchased the vehicle used from in 2007 stupidly used 10w 30 or 40 and I had issues with the timing being reset to zero under acceleration. I drained it out, replaced with 5w 20 Mobil1 and all was good. Till this day they still don't understand why I never brought my vehicle to them for an oil change.

Maybe I will buy a 2016 Mustang GT, maybe not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page