2006 Mustang Auto Transmission leak - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 Mustang Auto Transmission leak

Hey guy's so here's the story. I had recently upgraded myself from a 2001 GT to a 2006 GT auto. I was originally looking for another manual but I couldn't beat the price with the low amount of miles on it. The car is super clean, and until now I have not noticed any major problems. I was under the car yesterday looking for a source for the noise i was hearing in my front suspension. When I was just looking around the car, I noticed the oil pan was covered with something. To my discovery, transmission fluid was leaking out through the input shaft it appears. What do you guys think im looking at as for work/costs. Think I might need to replace the transmission while im at it?It is still working great there is no problem shifting between gears. I mean I got it wit 40k on it and it has 45K on it now. I am also just curious how much would it be to do a swap to manual, if it's reasonable I may do it. I can't believe Ford made this a "sealed tranny". That doesnt help at all when it's leakin and you don't know how much fluid there is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010
PONY Member

You stated "Input Shaft", but did you really mean "Output Shaft"? The Input Shaft is burried up inside the bell housing behind the torque converter, so I doubt you could see it without dropping the tranny. The Output Shaft connects to the driveshaft and is also refered to as the "Tail Shaft".

-Stangstta

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

The leak is on the front of the bell housing, it is clearly visible. It's a dark red/brown fluid now

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010
Rookie

Thumbs up autotrans leaking

Blow-off tube goes from rear of trans to bellhousing, if trans is overfilled or just driven hard fluid will escape in this area and give the indication of a trans leak. You can install a catch can on the firewall with a tube to the rear trans nipple so that any fluid will go back into the trans.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010
PONY Member

There is a TSB on fluid leaking in the bell housing area. It indicates fluid leaking from the pump bolts. This may be the source of your issue.

See:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tsb06_10_5.pdf

-Stangstta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page