Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   Help with my SVT X3 tuner (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/264672-help-my-svt-x3-tuner.html)

GityUpMustang 10-22-2010 11:37 AM

Help with my SVT X3 tuner

I have a 2005 GT with a MMR cold air intake, lowering suspension springs, and an SVT X3 tuner. Recently my check engine light came on and the tuner read a P0171 (lean gas/air ratio). After taking it to the Ford dealership they installed A new sensor in my mass air flow. The code is still being read by my tuner. I called the SVT tech support and the recommend I get a new custom tune programmer. A buddy of mine who claimed they new how to work with them altered a few options some weeks back. I think if I can get a tune specific for my car it will fix the problem. Anyone out there that can help?

pcfrisch 10-22-2010 11:59 AM

You answered your own question. You need a tune specific for your CAI and Car.
You can contact one of our vendors for a tune.

By the way, it isn't healthy for your engine to be running in a lean condition.

Laoryn35 10-22-2010 12:02 PM

My solution may sound dumb, but I had that problem with a new custon tune too. I reset the DTC codes after running for a bit at normal operating temp (above 180), and the code went away and did not return.

The next time I loaded that same tune, after testing a couple others, I got the code again, and again I reset it, and it went away.

Like I said, sounds dumb, but it worked for me.

(This all happened after cleaning MAFs, Seafoaming and 15 other things to try and lick a detonation problem, which is why I did none of that.)

GityUpMustang 10-22-2010 12:07 PM

I've tried resetting DTC and it came right back. And yes I'm aware I need a specific tune programmed but I do not want to spend a fortune. How much will that take to get a new tune? I need it ASAP but moneys pretty tight right now. Is it something they can teach me over the phone or Internet?

pcfrisch 10-22-2010 12:17 PM

Laoryn35 10-22-2010 12:20 PM

I got mine from American Muscle. $569 shipped I believe, and they will send you out the custom tunes if you sign up for the custom tune package, and tell them your mods.

SCT Mustang LiveWire Custom Tuner (96-10) w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

First time I dealt with them, but I will be using them a lot more, as my wife actually ordered me the wrong tuner, and they took care of it right away when I called with 0 hassle. I have seen other positive posts from them since I joind this board too.

If you are looking to only purchase a tune, and not a unit, then I am not sure about pricing on that for your unit.

PS. The tune I got the lean code on was not a AM/BAMA tune it was an SCT preload tune... My Custom AM/BAMA tunes are great, and each is tuned for the purpose they say. The race is actually too agressive for daily driving around here, I had to brake constantly to keep from rear ending people in stop and go traffic, but it was fun to play with and would be awesome on the track. I use the performance tune most of the time.

GityUpMustang 10-22-2010 12:45 PM

Ya I only need the tune. I wiLl look into the AM/BAMA tune. Do they have a shop or how do I get it? I no longer have the USB cable that came with the programmer. Is that a problem?

AMChrisRose 10-22-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose (Post 2279560)
Any standard USB cable will be fine, like for a printer, etc. They're available at radio shack for under $10, even most Walgreens, Walmart, BestBuy, etc. have plenty of them.

You can call Bama at 888.226.9764 and they'll sell you the custom tune(s) and email them to you.

It's $50 for one tune, or $150 for a 3 pack of tunes, but any future adjustments are free if you buy the 3 pack. We enroll you into the free tunes for life program.

Give them a shout Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST!

Here you go! Let us know if you have any other questions.