Help with my SVT X3 tuner - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Help with my SVT X3 tuner

I have a 2005 GT with a MMR cold air intake, lowering suspension springs, and an SVT X3 tuner. Recently my check engine light came on and the tuner read a P0171 (lean gas/air ratio). After taking it to the Ford dealership they installed A new sensor in my mass air flow. The code is still being read by my tuner. I called the SVT tech support and the recommend I get a new custom tune programmer. A buddy of mine who claimed they new how to work with them altered a few options some weeks back. I think if I can get a tune specific for my car it will fix the problem. Anyone out there that can help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

You answered your own question. You need a tune specific for your CAI and Car.
You can contact one of our vendors for a tune.

By the way, it isn't healthy for your engine to be running in a lean condition.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010
Rookie

My solution may sound dumb, but I had that problem with a new custon tune too. I reset the DTC codes after running for a bit at normal operating temp (above 180), and the code went away and did not return.

The next time I loaded that same tune, after testing a couple others, I got the code again, and again I reset it, and it went away.

Like I said, sounds dumb, but it worked for me.

(This all happened after cleaning MAFs, Seafoaming and 15 other things to try and lick a detonation problem, which is why I did none of that.)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I've tried resetting DTC and it came right back. And yes I'm aware I need a specific tune programmed but I do not want to spend a fortune. How much will that take to get a new tune? I need it ASAP but moneys pretty tight right now. Is it something they can teach me over the phone or Internet?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ass-tunes.html

A tune will cost you $50.00

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010
Rookie

I got mine from American Muscle. $569 shipped I believe, and they will send you out the custom tunes if you sign up for the custom tune package, and tell them your mods.

SCT Mustang LiveWire Custom Tuner (96-10) w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

First time I dealt with them, but I will be using them a lot more, as my wife actually ordered me the wrong tuner, and they took care of it right away when I called with 0 hassle. I have seen other positive posts from them since I joind this board too.

If you are looking to only purchase a tune, and not a unit, then I am not sure about pricing on that for your unit.

PS. The tune I got the lean code on was not a AM/BAMA tune it was an SCT preload tune... My Custom AM/BAMA tunes are great, and each is tuned for the purpose they say. The race is actually too agressive for daily driving around here, I had to brake constantly to keep from rear ending people in stop and go traffic, but it was fun to play with and would be awesome on the track. I use the performance tune most of the time.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ya I only need the tune. I wiLl look into the AM/BAMA tune. Do they have a shop or how do I get it? I no longer have the USB cable that came with the programmer. Is that a problem?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisRose View Post
Any standard USB cable will be fine, like for a printer, etc. They're available at radio shack for under $10, even most Walgreens, Walmart, BestBuy, etc. have plenty of them.

You can call Bama at 888.226.9764 and they'll sell you the custom tune(s) and email them to you.

It's $50 for one tune, or $150 for a 3 pack of tunes, but any future adjustments are free if you buy the 3 pack. We enroll you into the free tunes for life program.

Give them a shout Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST!
Here you go! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
tech support

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page