2008 Mustang GT Hurst Shifter Noise - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012
PONY Member

Thanks for the tips.

So far I'm not having fun. Using an apprentice assistant (my son) and working on jack stands it took me five hours to install the Hurst billet shifter.

After finally getting all bolts tight and parts lined up, I think, it shifts much better than the OME but is noise especially in the handle. If I hold the handle it is not as noisy so something is not right.

The instructions that came in the box were for the one that looks like the Ford Racing shifter. So there is no mention of the shift stop studs or how to adjust them. Does anyone know the thread size of the shift stop studs as I can't find mine.

Would it help if I put the two rubber pads between the upper and lower stick?

The instructions say that the long end of the tube at the bottom of the shifter should point to the passenger side of the car. I installed it that way and it is a pain in the butt to tighten the two screws that hold the upper and lower stick together as the lower shift arm is very close to the console.

Looking at the pictures for both type of shifters I see that the bolts that hold the arms together are on the opposite side of the stick than mine. To have the head of the bolts face the passenger side the longer end of the tube on the shifter bottom would have to face the driver side and that is not what the instructions say.

As soon as I saw made in China on the box I should have sent it back.

BTW I don't have any "scrubbing" sound the OP reported when going over large bumps. I even hit a speed bump at 30 MPH in different gears.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21ib5Dwf14L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	163043   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5lp_0811_07_z%2Bs197_mustang_shifters%2Bhurst_shifter.jpg
Views:	2664
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	163049  

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012
PONY Member

I found one problem, the instructions Hurst gives are wrong. They state "offset (long side) position on right (passenger) side. Yet the picture shows the offset facing left, this is how the OEM faces and Roush says "Important:The offset (long side) side of connector located on the stick bottom must be positioned to the left (driver) side."

The instructions form American Muscle uses the same picture as Hurst but not the words.

Tomorrow I will turn the connector around but I'm sure it will still rattle like the godless communist crap Hurst has become.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter hurtz.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	163088   Click image for larger version

Name:	24088-image-02.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	163089  

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

Old 09-02-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

The stick can only mount on way, and that is with the head of the stick mounting screws on the passenger side of the stick.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads

Old 09-02-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBob985 View Post
The stick can only mount on way, and that is with the head of the stick mounting screws on the passenger side of the stick.

It will mount the way the bottom tube is oriented. If the long end is towards the right the groves on the bottom stick will face left, that is the way Hurst's instructions say to do it and is wrong.

I posted pictures for those who don't like to read.

This an the instruction video for an MGW shifter; this would have saved me hours if Hurst told me to drop the transmission a few inches. Notice there is a arrow on the bottom tube showing how it should be installed.

Mustang 2005-2009 Short Throw Shifter

Old 09-02-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Here are som solid tips
Don't over torque the two nuts for the the rear most U mount that Boyle the shifter to the body
Drop the tranny by loosening the tranny mount nuts down about 2 inches. This is for good access to the forward linkage bolt
Get some lithium spray grease and shoot it in the center bearing of the shifter
When mounting the shifter arm use at least one or maybe to of the rubber isolators
Before you screw on the shift knob, wrap the shifter shaft threads with Teflon tape, this will help with any noise from under the car resonating up to the shift ball.

I too posted tips for those who like to read. Including dropping the tranny a couple of inches.

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
Old 09-02-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
I too posted tips for those who like to read. Including dropping the tranny a couple of inches.

I saw that but but when I saw "drop the tranny" major effort flashed through my mind. It seemed like it would be more trouble that it would have been worth, I'm working under jack stands. Now I know better.

I have it installed correctly except for the shift stops I misplaced. I don't know the size and Hurst isn't open until Tuesday. The shifting is great, just like Fast and Furious. There is more road and transmission noise being transmitted to the body of the car but I accept that. What I don't accept is the shift handle making a racket rattling in second gear above 3500 RPM unless I hold it tight. It only does it when accelerating not when engine braking. When I get the shift stops installed hopefully that will stop the rattling. I'm holding off on the "lithium spray" until I get the shift stops installed, some say that only works for a fortnight.

I will say this is not your father's Hurst shifter and that is not a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in