24 valve engine swap. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

24 valve engine swap.

I do hope someone will do it (including a how-to article) soon after the release. Does the '05 GT use the same block as the current GTs? If so, I don't see why the swap would be difficult. Just a matter of swapping motor, computer, and wiring. Maybe even smog equipment/plumbing.

I'd like to put a 24 valve into my GT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004
PONY Member

Why not just swap in a 4V now? They make more power than the 3V motor, and there's a huge aftermarket for the 4V's now. It's going to be quite a while before anyone comes out with any real performance stuff for the 3V motor.

"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004
Classic Member
S197 Member

i would be shocked if we start seeing performance befor july 06.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004
PONY Member
S197 Member

The 05 GT is going to make at least 300 hp, the 96 Cobras made 305 hp. The way Ford has been rating the hp numnbers since 01 the GT will probably be closer to 315 hp. The 4 cam won't work without MAJOR modifications, remember this is a all new car. The new 4.6L will only share 30% of the mechanical components from the present engine; rods, pistons and crank. Ford has been working closely with the aftermarket the last couple of years; they started sharing the engine computer programming codes. The 03 Cobras had add on parts available almost immediately upon their sale to the public. I also don't think you'll see a special edition for awhile, Ford will be able to sell just about every base and GT it can for the first year and a half. I also think that 04 will be the last year for the 4 cam engine the engine bay in the 05's just look to narrow for the wide 4 cammer. In a recent article in Forbes Magazine Bill Ford said his company will make quality not quantity the priority. Imagine a new Ford with no recalls in the first few months of production. :thumbsup MOTOR TREND Car of the Year?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004
Classic Member
S197 Member

yep motortrends car of the gear.the only compation is the c6 vett an the 05 chrysler 300. an in detroit the mustang won.
also won the msn pole,an autoweek's pole also. imo the 300 is the only compation the stang has.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

I think an easier swap would be from a 3valve 4.6 from the Trucks, these have no variable timing, so they are simpler in many ways, mostly the EEC V, which is a critical part when tunning.
I dont see many vendors selling chips for the 3 valve mustang any time soon, the VCT adds some critical complexity to the tunning.

The 3 valve truck engine on the other part might be able to work with any existent EEC chip.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004
PONY Member
S197 Member

The 4.6L is still a 2 valve engine the 5.4L is the new 3v with the variable cam timimg. The Focus SVT has variable cam timing and I'm sure there are chips available for them. The 2.0 Zetec in regular Foci also have variable cam timing (VCT). So far we haven't seen any of the 5.4L with any engine problems. I'm sure there are plenty of savy tuners out there who will be able to come up with different programs. What will be interresting are the supercharger manufactors and who will be first.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Stand corrected , i meant the 5.4 3v

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004
V6 Member

what's a valve...?
what's a cam...?
4.6L Member

I think mods will be all over the place from day one. Look at the GT-R, that should speak to how interested Ford is in the aftermarket. One thing is for certain, americans love to recreate their cars, and as a car company if all i do is fight it every step of the way, I dont stop it, all i do is send potential customers to another location. If i however support it and make it easier for the customer, then they are more apt to buy parts from me.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam94GT
I do hope someone will do it (including a how-to article) soon after the release. Does the '05 GT use the same block as the current GTs?
The base 4.6 liter V-8 features features an aluminum block and SOHC 3-valve aluminum heads and variable cam timing from the new Ford F-150 5.4 liter V-8.

2005 Black GT with Red upgrade interior, fully tinted, 18's with ASA/BBS 5 spoke studded wheels, Michelin Pilots, Borla S-Type catbacks, K&N FIPK cold air injection system.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Motortrend in my opinion is Biased against American Made Sports cars.
They like our trucks. but cars, they hate. They go for lil 4 cyl and 6cyl roadsters that are way overpriced for their car of the year. Godd luck Mustang, you're great, but remember where your heritage is from.

If only the magz cared about a legend rather than a suit and tie witha ncie job. D:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page