Ford Mustang Forum banner

2005 mustang gt trunk buzzing

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JKrew 
#1 ·
My 05 mustang GT is making a buzzing from the trunk when i open it with the remote. its annoying and i want it gone!!! lol anybody know what it could be?

#2 ·
Trunk noise

Is it possible the actuator for releasing the trunk latch is staying engaged?

Is the noise their regardless of whether car is running or not? If its there while running could it be a fuel pump going south?

Try using a "mechanics stethosope" and touching every relay, actuator etc. should help pinpoint the problem child.....

#3 ·
Sounds like the solenoid that releases the catch is starting to go.

A low-voltage condition also can cause a solenoid to buzz, so you
could put a meter on it before replacing the solenoid, particularly if
the solenoid is expensive, but since the voltage only appears for
a couple of seconds, you'll need a peak-and-hold or fast-response
meter to get an accurate reading.

#4 ·
I think I have the same problem on my 2010 -- when I push the remote the release mechanism buzzes for a few seconds until the hood pops up a little

I think (not sure) it is caused by the trunk sticking -- the mechnism that is supposed to pop it up keeps trying and that's where the buz comes from. My local dealer service guy suggested that I coat the gasket/seal with silicone so it does not stick, also maybe wax or polish the area of the trunk lid where the seal hits so that it does not stick. I have not had a chance to try that yet, but it does make sense to me.

Try pulling up on the trunk lid while you press the button, does that make it go away?

However, I also get "trunk ajar" message on the dash sometimes, even when the trunk is securely closed. So it seems there is something else going on back there.

I have already lubed the heck out of both sides of the mechanism with spray silicone lube and it made no difference.

Interested to hear if anyone else has any input on this . . .

#6 ·
My 06 GT has a loud buzzing sound, almost like a rapid rattle. It happens both when the trunk is open or closed whenever the open trunk control is pressed.

I planned on replacing the opening mechanism sometime, but as this is mostly an annoyance, I've just ignored it for now. This thread reminded me that I need to work on it at some point.

#7 ·
yeah I think this thread died a while back, but now is resurrected

I think this is a dealer repair thing -- mine was fixed under warranty back in 2010; not sure how much they would have charged but I got the feeling it was probably not a big expensive thing

#8 ·
I have a 2010 that buzzes when the remote is pressed, but I hate just becoming a part changer guy. I was hoping someone had actually delved into diagnosing the actual problem. Maybe something just needs a cleaning or some lubrication. I also get the trunk ajar light. My 17 year old daughter commadear the car on me, so I never have the opportunity to look at the problem. It would be nice to see if someone has taken the mechanism apart and repaired it.

#9 ·
I did take a quick shot at trying to fix mine, which mostly meant giving it a good bath with silicone spray lubricant . . . made no difference, and since it was under warranty at the time, replacing the part was the simple solution.

My feeling is that you really do need to replace the part, but I can't really back that up with any deep troubleshooting or testing. Maybe you can be the first . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.