NOS for 2006 GT - what are the cons - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about the inspection part with NOS. The fogger nozzle gets installed in the intake somewhere, and you can either do a really good job of hiding it, or just take out the nozzle and lines when you go in for your inspection. It may be minorly annoying, but your talking maybe a half hours worth of work once a year... not bad at all. If you get pulled over and they pop your trunk and see the bottle hooked up though, that could be trouble. Here in MA, I believe that you weren't allowed to have the bottle connected while driving on the street, but I don't know of anyone ever getting cited for it. I don't agree with the statement that it's only good for the strip. Set up with some of the extras makes it easy to turn on/off on demand.

As for using it, yes, it does get very addicting. The major downside to it is refilling bottles. Sometimes it's a pain and it can get expensive if you go through a lot of it. Most basic kits come with just the bottle, lines, and controller unit. A bottle heater to maintain proper bottle pressure is a must if you see temps below 80 degrees. Also, a remote bottle opener is hugely convenient so you can open your bottle without getting out and going in to your trunk. Most kits come with the jets to go up in shot size quite a bit, but 125HP is the practical max if you have a stock fuel system. You will also need an SCT device or something similar so you can pull a couple degrees of timing out of your tune. A window switch also helps make sure that it only sprays in safe RPM ranges.

I had the Zex kit and I still like it for several reasons. One, it automatically adjusts fuel enrichment based on bottle pressure, so you don't have to worry about spraying pig rich if your bottle pressure is low. Two, it has everything built in to one neat little box so it makes the installation pretty clean.

I completely understand where you are coming from as well. I wanted a power adder that was beyond the basic bolt ons but I didn't have enough for a supercharger or turbos. I bought my stuff used off of e-bay for an awesome price, used the crap out of it, than sold it for basically what I paid for it and put the money towards a super charger when I had enough saved up. There are tons of people selling their nitrous stuff. You can easily get a good setup with a lot of the necessary "extras" included for $600 or so. Check out corral froums as well.

Power in Numbers: None of us are as dumb as all of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

NOS Safety

Thanks for your response. Do you know or have any experience with the problem of the solenoid freezing open? Does the ZEX kit protect against that?

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I never had any problems with the solenoid but that's not to say it can't happen. I don't think solenoids generally just stick open, usually something has to get stuck in them to hold them open. One thing to do is make sure you don't use Teflon tape to seal the threads on the places that need it. Go to Home Depot and get the liquid thread sealer and make sure it's the kind built for use with Oxygen an the proper PSI rating.

Power in Numbers: None of us are as dumb as all of us

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

NOS Safety

Decided to go with the 4.10s and some drag radials. Don't want to mess with filling the bottle. Just want to punch it and go. If money becomes available down the road, will get a supercharger. Until then, this should be fun. Thanks for all the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page