Vibration between 2000-3000 RPM - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty88 View Post
A quick follow-up... Took the car to Ford after deciding messing with the rear end and bearings wasn't a good idea considering the need of special tools. Sooo after detailing the problem and going for a ride with the tech they tried adding some friction modifier...didn't fix it. Brought it back and was told it was in need of a rear end overhaul... replace all bearings, clutchs.. to the tune of $1330. I was told it was the problem and this would fix it. Guess what? it didn't. There was NO improvement in anyway...vibrations still there. Needless to say I feel like I've been taken for a ride and the cars going back today.
This problem is still not resolved. Took a ride with the service manager. He felt the vibration I've been talking about. Pretty obvious the rear end overhaul didn't fix it. I've had a few suggestions to what it may be...bad engine mount or an out of balance crankshaft. Again, it's a vibration that happens specifically between 2-3k. The more I step on it the heavier the vibration. It's way more pronounced when turning the wheel to the right ie: taking right hand turns around a corner or a ramp. If I keep it in 1st and hold the rpm's at 2500 then turn the wheel back and forth the vibration is there. Ford is still having trouble diagnosing it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I took my car to 3 different shops and they couldnt find the vibration . I got desperate and lifted the car up my self and found that the rubber boot for the two peace drive shaft was to loose and allowing the drive shaft to move around . To fix the problem I put 2 fush mont bolts and nuts in the rubber boot and all the moving and vibrating went away .

2007 GT auto
HO Whipple with 10psi
GT500 fuel pump
BMR lower control arms
BMR relocation brackets-3.73grs
445rwhp 419rwtq
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddan View Post
I took my car to 3 different shops and they couldnt find the vibration . I got desperate and lifted the car up my self and found that the rubber boot for the two peace drive shaft was to loose and allowing the drive shaft to move around . To fix the problem I put 2 fush mont bolts and nuts in the rubber boot and all the moving and vibrating went away .
I take it you had the same kind of thing going on?

Apprentice

It shook when I gave it the gas . At about 40% throttle or at about passing power it began to shake !!!

2007 GT auto
HO Whipple with 10psi
GT500 fuel pump
BMR lower control arms
445rwhp 419rwtq
Apprentice

They rebuilt my rear end as well !! Added some 3.73 to boot .

2007 GT auto
HO Whipple with 10psi
GT500 fuel pump
BMR lower control arms
445rwhp 419rwtq
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
They rebuilt my rear end as well !! Added some 3.73 to boot .
Did they charge you $1300..?
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
It shook when I gave it the gas . At about 40% throttle or at about passing power it began to shake !!!
My 1st guess was the drive shaft or u joints. Did steering effect it at all?
Apprentice

Cool

They charged me $666 . It still hurts !!! That is the amount they charged too ...

No the steering was ok , no effect

2007 GT auto
HO Whipple with 10psi
GT500 fuel pump
BMR lower control arms
445rwhp 419rwtq
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Got the car back after ford had it for 4 days. Said they had the chassis ears hooked up
but it was over-all to noisy to pinpoint. So they tried another vibration sensor thing (some kind of magnet thing...?) It pointed to the driveline...nothing specific. So they have a new drive shaft ordered. I felt, from the beginning, it was something to do with the drive shaft/u joints. we'll see...
Apprentice

I had this same problem and actually found a solution for us, was just about to start a thread about til I saw this one. Really should be a tsb.

Its a spacer plate between the engine and the transmission. Read about after googling and found it under "annoying rattle at 3k rpm"

The person I took it to just pried on it a bit and I havent really heard it since. If you are under warranty, the person in the thread said they just removed it on his car. If you guys find a better fix let me know since mine didnt sound like a permanent fix lol. That was definitely where it was coming from for me though.

2005 GT - Full Mod List In Mustang Rides - MGW 5 Speed, E-Force S/C 3.25" pulley. Dual Gt 500 Fuel Pumps, Ford Racing Headers, Slp High-Flow X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapack Catback, FRPP 3:73, Exedy Mach 500 Stage III clutch and Flywheel, Edelbrock CAI, J&M Extreme Joint LCA's, Bmr Adj. Panhard Bar, Dss Aluminum 1 Piece Ds, Nitto Nt555 285/40/18 500RWHP 467tq
Apprentice

You will find a lot of posts by googling "mustang gt annoying rattle 3k rpm" . Dont hear about shaking involved with it, the plate is pretty thin. here is one link

Rattle at 3000rpm - MustangForums.com

2005 GT - Full Mod List In Mustang Rides - MGW 5 Speed, E-Force S/C 3.25" pulley. Dual Gt 500 Fuel Pumps, Ford Racing Headers, Slp High-Flow X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapack Catback, FRPP 3:73, Exedy Mach 500 Stage III clutch and Flywheel, Edelbrock CAI, J&M Extreme Joint LCA's, Bmr Adj. Panhard Bar, Dss Aluminum 1 Piece Ds, Nitto Nt555 285/40/18 500RWHP 467tq
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

The latest is Ford has a driveshaft on order. They said they weren't sure it would be the fix. I discovered something that may help in figuring this out. I had parked the car on a sloped side of a building. This placed the right side of the car higher than the left, which kind-of mimics when I turn the wheel to the right by shifting the cars/engine weight to the left. When I started the car I got the vibration Iíve been talking about. To verify this I just jacked up the right side and revíd the engine to 2500rpm and there it was. Neither the wheels nor the driveshaft were spinning. So I donít think itís the driveshaft. When the car is on a flat surface itís not that noticeable but when the right side is up itís obvious. Has to be between the engine and the flywheel.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

A follow up.. After months of Ford guessing at what was causing this vibration. It took a new mechanic and the regional engineer to figure out it was the transmission mount, the insulator. Months of speculating, a new rear end ($1300) multiple visits and a lot of time...and it comes down to what looks like a simple cheap/fix. Done yesterday. No more vibes except the bad one I have with Ford..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page