Help with P0300 Code Random Misfire - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Unhappy Help with P0300 Code Random Misfire

I have a 2008 Mustang which I have put the Comp Cams Thumper II in with Kooks Headers etc. I had been dealing with a lot of throwing engine codes every two weeks or so if I got on it. At that time after replacing the Ox Sensor from that code and many other things I seemed to notice that it was showing that it was running lean trying to get to rich when I was on it. I changed the injectors to 31 lb Ford injectors and that seemed to solve my problems for about four months. I had put in the Champion Platinum plugs which were expensive and was using 92 Octane Gas rather than Shell 93. I switched back to the Shell 93 about a week a go and yesterday the car threw a code P0300 which is Random Misfire. Since Ford does not identify the cylinder I am not sure which one caused the problem. I had been using Granitelli Coil Packs but took them out and put the stock ones back in last October. The Champion Plugs which resemble more a standard gap plug rather than the sort of rainbow plug have been in since November. The car used to have a rough idle and surge when looking at the tach but it settled down to farily steady after the injectors were installed, about as steady as you can expect with the radical cams that are in the car.

The car is an early 2008 which means it uses the 2007 and earlier style spark plug and I was wondering if I should switch back to them or is there a better plug for the GT. The car has a C&L Cold Air Racing Intake and the tunes for it are from American Muscle / Bama.
Should I change a setting in the tune to richen it up.....

As I said this is the first time the car has thrown a code in Months and it has been running great so I was suprised to see the light on out of the blue. I never felt the misfire. The previous codes were sort of ones that were unusual and not in the book and I had to find them online. Could my EEC be at fault? I clear the code and everything seems fine until I have to gun the car to get out of someones way or onto the highway.

I would appreciate any help as I have limited funds and since the problem is random and does not do it often I don't know where to turn. I thought of having the car put on a Dyno by Big Daddy and maybe her would see something as he installed the cams etc.

Thanks for reading.... any help or comment would be appreciated.

Confused GT Owner
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012
BOSS Member

Dave, you've got quite a lot going on with parts being changed/etc. Have you received a tune for your most recent injector/cam choice/etc.? When is your most recent tune from? What octane are you tuned for?

Shoot me your order number and I can have our Lead Calibrator look into it for you. Either PM it to me or put it here in your post. Email address also works.

Let me know and we can help ya troubleshoot this. Have a good one!

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Smile The Plot Thickens... LOL

I want to thank Chris from American Muscle from responding to my post. Earlier yesterday I called American Muscle to get their take on my problem and spoke with two fantastic gentlemen, a Dan in sales and a Ryan in Bama tunes. Both were very informative and concerned with my problem and Dan felt that Ryan would be more the expert to assist me with my situation. I spoke with Ryan and he recomended changing out the Champion Platinum Plugs which I have been reading else where can cause a problem in an engine set up like mine. I also had gotten a similar comment from the FRRP representative that builds and races Ford Engines. They recommended going to the FRRP plug or the Autolite HT1. Actually I was leaning towards a little cooler plug so I went with the FRRP plug that was one step colder. I put the plugs in and reinstalled the Granetelli Coils that I had taken often the car right after the cams and headers were installed. They only had been on the car for about two days when the newer parts were put on. I did notice when a lot of my problems developed that it appeared that one of the coils had been damaged by the installer at where the connector plugs into the coil and I attempted to repair it but did not seem to be sucessful as I did not like the way the car ran. At that time I put the stock plugs back in and American Muscle gave me a new tune to deal with a few other issues I was having. The issues seemed to be resolved at the time but the road down the elusive OBDII codes began. Never a same code.

So yesterday after putting the Granetelli Pro coils back on with the FRRP plugs I started the engine and with great anticipation took the car for a ride. I noticed it was now running very rough and popping back and backfire when letting the engine decelerate the car.... No check engine light but a problem. I was near Big Daddy and went into to discuss having the car put on the Dyno. Discussing the problem he came out and looked at the engine and felt the top of the coils. The damaged coil was making a knock like it had a little hammer inside of it... not right for sure. So I drove the car home and pulled that coil. I noticed several things... One... the wire that goes from the top of the coil to the top of the coil had melted in half and I had to deal with getting the other half out as I could not get my socket onto the plug and also noticed that the plug appeared to be loose. I got the plug out and removed the piece. The plug was in perfect shape so I reinstalled it and put one of the stock coils back on. I fired the car up and took it for a ride and WOW, it had never ran so good with the cams etc. The plugs definitely made a difference. I vowed to kick the guy who put the plugs in in the butt for not tightening up the one plug... OH, by the way.. that guy was ME... LOL.

Almost end of story..... since the damage to the coil was nothing to do with American Muscle I had never sought a replacement from them. Back at the time they recommended contacting Granatelli to buy one coil as I did not want to pay the over $500 cost for a complete set. Having been reading some rather not to positive things about the coil I put them away at the time until yesterday never quite sure if that one coil was bad. Anyway, the FRRP rep and the Tech from Big Daddy's were not enamored with the Granetelli Coils and recommended the MSD coil packs. So I ordered a set of MSD's from American Muscle and opted for the one day shipping and will install them when they arrive. The installation will be a piece of cake as I don't have to deal with the spark plugs at all, just swap out the coils. I don't want to leave the car the way it is with seven Granatelli coils and one stock coil... which is why I have ordered the switch. If all goes well with the switch and the car stays out of the dreaded Check Engine Light Zone then I will install a product I purchased from American Muscle but never installed, the FRRP intake manifold. I already have gotten the tune for that set up but never went ahead with the install as I did not want another part on the car muddying the waters as to what was wrong. Hopefully this will be a happy ending in a few days and onto bigger and better things with the new intake.

I will say.. the car amazed me as even with its idiosyncrasies it did run like with a lot of power when the cams would kick in at about 4000 RPM..... so the Cams and the Headers are great when you have everything else working correctly with them. Thanks to everyone for their help... American Muscle who is fantastic.... My local FRRP dealer and Big Daddy's performance shop that has the cleanest shop I have ever seen and has a Dyno etc to put the car on.. which I should have had done long ago... LOL. Hind sight is always twenty twenty.

Hopefully my saga may help some guy who has a similar problem resolve his issues with the car. Now.. if only Ford had put the Misfire Codes in to say which cylinder was misfiring rather than annoucing a Random Code I would probably have had an easier time resolving this matter.... Sort of like the tire pressure indicator on the Fords that says you have a tire getting low on air pressure and then you have to check all four to find the culpret... LOL. I have seen some GM's that tell you which plug is misfiring as well as which tire is low on air pressure. Oh well.. you can't have your cake and eat it too.... one can have a great running car and not have the other little niceties that would help to keep it running good. Maybe some day Ford will change this... or maybe they have already on the newer Mustangs... I will check with my Son-In-Law that just bought a 2012 5.0. I still think my car in its present form will whip his stock version, but if he gets a Bama Tune then I know he would blow my doors away and all I will see is his rear tail lights... LOL

Thanks again if you stuck with me this far... and again a big Shout Out and Thank You to American Muscle from a man in his sixities that must be suffering from Old Timers Disease... LOL

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David52548 View Post
/snip
Thanks again if you stuck with me this far... and again a big Shout Out and Thank You to American Muscle from a man in his sixities that must be suffering from Old Timers Disease... LOL
AWESOME!!!! That's what we're here for! So glad you got it straightened out. Keep my updated with how the new coilpacks turn out.

Please don't hesitate to PM me directly if you ever have any questions in the future. I'd be happy to help! Have a good one!

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks again Chris.... should receive the coil packs tomorrow I hope.. will keep you updated.

Once more... American Muscle is the best... and NO ... I Don't work for them...LOL
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012
BOSS Member

Always a pleasure, David! Just glad I can help!

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions in the future. Have a good one!

Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page