Plug recommendation - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Plug recommendation

Which is a better plug to use in moderately modified normally aspirated old style head 2008 Mustang GT. The Ford one step colder racing plug or the plug manufactured by Brisk. I have Champion Platinum plugs in the car and they were about $160 for the set from advance and I was not too thrilled with them from the start.

Any suggestions as the car is driven mostly moderately with occasional trips to the red line of the Comp Cams....

Thanks for your help and assistance as I am trying to rid myself of a non-felt random misfire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David52548 View Post
Which is a better plug to use in moderately modified normally aspirated old style head 2008 Mustang GT. The Ford one step colder racing plug or the plug manufactured by Brisk. I have Champion Platinum plugs in the car and they were about $160 for the set from advance and I was not too thrilled with them from the start.

Any suggestions as the car is driven mostly moderately with occasional trips to the red line of the Comp Cams....

Thanks for your help and assistance as I am trying to rid myself of a non-felt random misfire.
I would re-think going to a colder plug (unless of course you're F/I).. there are a few reasons for this.

Plugs have to get hot enough to clean themselves. Typically colder plugs are reserved for high compression and/or boosted applications.. The reasons being are because the cylinder pressures are much higher and ignition temperatures hotter.

The colder range plug works to transfer heat away from the electrode faster thus reducing the likelihood of a hot plug causing pre-ignition.

On the other hand, colder plugs in a lower compression setting (like in your N/A motor) may not get hot enough to burn off the carbon deposits because now they're transferring too much heat away while ignition temperatures are cooler which, in turn, could eventually lead to fouling and..... more misfires.

In your case stick with the OEM heat range.

Now, all that said. I run the Brisk plugs and I like them for a few reasons. The most obvious reason is I have early style heads and the Brisk are a one piece design. Also they have a traditional ground strap vs. the autolite/motorcraft plugs which means you can gap them with a good ole keychain wedge vs. having to buy a special tool.

They're a little spendy for spark plugs but not near as expensive as getting a broken two piece removed by the stealership

You can get the Brink plug in a standard heat range plug too.
Good Luck with it
-HD

Edit:
Also if you know which cylinder is misfiring, try removing the COP from that cylinder and swapping it with a COP from another cylinder. Does the misfire follow the COP to the new cylinder?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Smile Fixed and happy At last...

I got recommendations for the FRRP, Autolite and Bisk Plugs. Everyone I spoke to said the Platinum Plugs don't work well... I found that out the hard way and they were a little over $20 a piece or $160 for the set of eight.

I opted for the FRRP as I would have had to order the Brisk online. I am ontop of my maintenance so the two piece plug causing problems when removing is not an issue with me. I will never let the plugs go more than about twenty to twenty five thousand miles and since the FRRP's and Autolites are less expensive being about a $100 for the set it is a non-issue.

Someday when I change the heads... but that will be a while... I will be into the newer style plug that came into being about or month or so after my car was built back in Nov of 2007. I have one of those cars that depending on when it was built had a different head and different spark plug in it.... Oh well.... Still love the car though.

So thanks for the reply and the car is running great with the new colder plugs..... It seems the Mother Thumper cams do increase the cylinder pressures a bit...... and the Champion Platinums were hurting the whole thing to begin with. NEVER use the platinums.... I learned that from all the experts.. wish I had learned it before I had bought them... Ha ha ha

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012
PONY Member

So I was actually about to ask a similar question to this when I get around to replacing my plugs in a month or two...

I take it these are the recommended Brisk plugs for an N/A 2005 GT? Or is there another variation of that plug which is recommended?

Thanks in advance! I just really don't want to order the wrong **** and waste $100+

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

You can find the correct number for the Brisk plugs on their internet site. They have one plug for up to 450HP and another for engines over 450HP. Seems that people are recommending gaping them at .035.

I went with the Ford Racing Plugs as I did not want to wait to get the lousy Champion Platinum plugs out of my car. I must say I am impressed with the performance so far. The idle with my radical Comp Cams Mother Thumpers is great and the sound is really a nice lope, the power is off the scale when I put my foot in it. So I am pleased. Sorry I ever used the Champions.... should have stuck with the Ford or Autolite at the time. The Ford Racing Plugs I put in are one step colder... otherwise you use the stock plug. I have been led to believe that NGK makes these plugs for Ford.

Good luck... no matter how good these plugs are, since they are two piece as opposed to the Brisk one piece.. they will be changed out in another 20,000 miles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012
Rookie

I just put a set of Autolite HT plugs in, I'm very impressed with them.
But it took 9 plugs and moving coils around and a $40.00 cash to pay for the use of a scope to find and clear all the misfires.
Sure enough, one bad plug!
The shop refunded my money for the plug, but flipped me off on the $40.00 for the scope.
But now that's all addressed, the motor works perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page