2005 mustang gt driveline vibration - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

2005 mustang gt driveline vibration

I've been getting a vibration between 2000-3000rpm more noticeable when turning right. Ford has been having a hard time diagnosing it. So far they did a differential overhaul thinking it was the clutch pack, wasn't the problem. After putting chassis ears on they did say it was coming from the driveline and was going to change the driveshaft but, I discovered something that may help in figuring this out. I had parked the car on a sloped side of a building. This placed the right side of the car higher than the left, which kind-of mimics when I turn the wheel to the right by shifting the cars/engine weight to the left. When I started the car I got the vibration Iíve been talking about. To verify this I just jacked up the right side and revíd the engine to 2500rpm and there it was. Neither the wheels nor the driveshaft were spinning. So I donít think itís the driveshaft. When the car is on a flat surface itís not that noticeable but when the right side is up itís obvious. Any ideas? crankshaft? flywheel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

sounds like you're pretty perceptive to notice that. Is there anyway you could get the car on a slope like that and also be under it to see if anything touches? Otherwise I'd think it's a motor mount problem maybe.

2007 GT: JLT intake, SCT tuner, Eibach Pro-kit (springs + struts/shocks), Currie Adjustable LCA's with Johnny Joint, BMR relocation brackets, MAC axleback exhaust, Powerslot rotors, EBC redstuff pads, Steeda X5 balljoints
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

The vibration is more obvious than you think. Sometimes taking on ramps my whole car will shake. I just happened to stumble on the fact jacking it up duplicated when it happens. The diff overhaul cost me $1300 and didn't anything to improve things. It certainly did not solve this vibration thing. Ford said they checked my mounts and they were fine. They're now talking of lowering my exhaust to make sure it's not related to that. Still I don't see how that's going to fix what's actually causing the vibration. It's has to be something in the engine or between the engine and the flywheel.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012
GT Member

Not sure if this helps, but I had a annoying vibe that I just could not figure out (50 to 65 mph). Then one day I replaced the upper control arm (adjustable) set to the same angle as the stock link, and the vibe disappeared. Perhaps in my case it had something to do with the soft bushings in the stock unit, opposed to the harder urethane bushings in the replacement. Not sure?

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty88 View Post
I've been getting a vibration between 2000-3000rpm more noticeable when turning right. Ford has been having a hard time diagnosing it. So far they did a differential overhaul thinking it was the clutch pack, wasn't the problem. After putting chassis ears on they did say it was coming from the driveline and was going to change the driveshaft but, I discovered something that may help in figuring this out. I had parked the car on a sloped side of a building. This placed the right side of the car higher than the left, which kind-of mimics when I turn the wheel to the right by shifting the cars/engine weight to the left. When I started the car I got the vibration Iíve been talking about. To verify this I just jacked up the right side and revíd the engine to 2500rpm and there it was. Neither the wheels nor the driveshaft were spinning. So I donít think itís the driveshaft. When the car is on a flat surface itís not that noticeable but when the right side is up itís obvious. Any ideas? crankshaft? flywheel?
After months of Ford guessing what this vibration was. It turns out it was my transmission mount/insulator. Took a new mechanic and the regional engineer to figure it out. After months of speculating, a new rear end ($1300) multiple visits and a lot of time it turns out to be a simple/cheap fix. No more vibe except the bad one I have with Ford..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012
GT Member

So just wondering what the issue with the mounts was? Was it that they were loose or broken?

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

The isolator was slightly worn. Still can't believe something so slight would cause a vibration like that but it did. Happy the vibration's gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page