differential overhaul and computer reprogrammed? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

differential overhaul and computer reprogrammed?

Hello,

I just ran a carfax on a 2006 mustang gt that I want to buy. One owner car & clear title with 56,000 miles, looks pretty good except one entry from 7-2008:

Maintenance inspection completed
Computer reprogrammed
Recommended maintenance performed

Differential overhauled
Axles checked

The seller told me that the car hit a curb and had the wheel replaced. Is there anything that I should look for when viewing the vehicle? Why would the computer need reprogramming, would it be related to the accident or overhaul if the differential?

Would this accident lead to other problems in the future?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012
Rookie

Could be they changed the gear ratio and for that ford just reflashes a new program instead of changing settings.

Sent from my VivoW

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hmm... if so I hope they put 3.55's in it! I think thats what they came with in 2006. Also, the report shows that the rear rotors were resurfaced and the brakes were checked a lot.

He has a 6 year warranty that is set to expire in April so I'm feeling pretty confident that if it drives good it should be ok. Just want to make sure I'm not buying crap.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012

If the work was done at a dealership they generally tend to reflash the PCM with the most current strategy. There should be a sticker on the rear differential cover that identifies the gear ratio.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well I went to check out the car, I didn't drive it, but went for a ride on the freeway. I noticed a very light vibration from the rear when cruising at 70 MPH.

It turns out that the differential housing was replaced by the dealer. I Also noticed some oil or grease on the pasenger side of the axle housing, anybody know what that could be? Theres a leaky rear shock but it doesnt seem like that grease would stick to the axle housing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page