Need suggestions/comments for Forged 4.6L Build - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Need suggestions/comments for Forged 4.6L Build

Alright everyone, it has come to the point where I am planning on doing a forged shortblock. Car has supporting mods needed to handle more power. I am looking for 500-525rwhp for a street tune, and 600+ on race gas.

I was looking to go with the Ford Racing Aluminator. Most of the posts I have read about this block have been good.

Question 1: What is the maximum boost you can run on the Aluminator with the stock 9.8:1 compression ratio? 15psi?

Question 2: Any of you that have run the stock compression Aluminator under boost, did you have any issues with the rings not being file fit for a supercharged application?

Question 3: Can anyone give me a reason not to get this shortblock? I found one for under $3500 and its hard to pass up.

I am going to get as much as I can safely get out of my GT500 fuel pumps and that is the limit for me on this car. If it puts out 550rwhp I will be tickled *&$#less.

Any other comments, suggestions, experience using this block is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for any input!

2008 Mustang GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

I'd call MMR and get the straight scoop from the experts...

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012

If youre going to limit your power production to the capacity of your fuel system then why not just turn the wick up on the stock block. Those 42lbers are not going to make enough power to justify the expense of a new short block. You are running a centrifigual so it whould be easier to get away with a little more than a twinscrew. More boost and a new tune on the factory short block shooting for 485rwhp puts you right about where you want to be anyway...just throwing options out there.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012
Apprentice

i was just in this boat. was searching and looking around for months trying to figure out the best bang for my dollar. i almost went with the frpp block, but then decided to build my own stock alum block. i bought brenspeeds B302 stroker kit and built it myself. if you can do this its definitely the way to go. gives you more money for supporting mods to complement the forged bottom end.

and is good for 800+ rwhp!!

Broken B302 right now...
D1SC build in process ~20lbs with e85 at 10.5 compression,id1000 injectors,aeromotive eliminator return style fuel system,frpp intake,gt500 tb
With the saleen she made 517/504 SAE at 15lbs boost 2.8 pulley & 10% od balancer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfl300 View Post
Alright everyone, it has come to the point where I am planning on doing a forged shortblock. Car has supporting mods needed to handle more power. I am looking for 500-525rwhp for a street tune, and 600+ on race gas.

I was looking to go with the Ford Racing Aluminator. Most of the posts I have read about this block have been good.

Question 1: What is the maximum boost you can run on the Aluminator with the stock 9.8:1 compression ratio? 15psi?
I run 20lbs of boost on pump gas with 9.73:1 compression and make 735whp.

Question 2: Any of you that have run the stock compression Aluminator under boost, did you have any issues with the rings not being file fit for a supercharged application? An engine designed for supercharged/turbo should have a ring end gap of .007 X the bore diameter. A na engine will have a ring end gap of .004 X the bore diameter. The ring end gaps will butt if you get too aggressive with a NA engine with boost.

Question 3: Can anyone give me a reason not to get this shortblock? I found one for under $3500 and its hard to pass up.On a high HP build, I would not use one if you ever plan to make over 600whp. The blocks are not zero decked, the piston to wall clearance is too tight, the ring end gaps are tight, and the pistons are made from 4032 alloy.

I am going to get as much as I can safely get out of my GT500 fuel pumps and that is the limit for me on this car. If it puts out 550rwhp I will be tickled *&$#less. If you only want to make 550whp, the aluminator will serve you well. But you will get bored and want more HP like everyone else.

Any other comments, suggestions, experience using this block is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for any input!
$3500 is a good deal for what it is. My cost on the machine work on my engine was $3,000. Custom purpose built engines cost a lot more. But if you ever want to make more the 600whp, the engine needs to be built differently. Zero decking improves quench and makes the engine less prone to detonation. 2618 alloy pistons will take a bunch more abuse and heat. File fitting each ring is critical too. Bearing clearances, crank prep, billet pumps all need to be addressed. However, if you know for sure that 550whp is all you will ever want, buy the aluminator and you will be fine.

2008 GT powered by a Yates 358ci Nascar Cup engine and Tex Racing T101A 4 speed.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

if buying a "block in a box" is the route you want to take, then id go with the FRPP Aluminator. from my understanding, it will handle 700-750 hp all day long. not sure what boost level that is, would depend on s/c setup. id would think it would take 15psi easy.

the other option is to either rebuild yours or find a donor motor to rebuild.

if you dont want down time, you will need a complete motor to swap in. once you go that route, then you are looking at heads, oil pan, timing cover and all that crap to complete it.

if thats the case, id go for rebuilding a donor motor as you can get a nice one for about $1,500.00 that will have all the parts. if you have to hunt down heads, timing cover and timing set and all that stuff for your FRPP block, its gonna be expensive.

if you are buying a shortblock and having everything on your car "switched over" (for lack of better term) then id go FRPP.

and if you found one for under $3500.00, grab it before the suckers change their minds. its $3800 to $3900 everywhere ive seen it. of course that includes shipping too which is probably worth a couple of bills.

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page