2010 mustang gt vibration in front driveline at 72mph and 2200 rpm need help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

2010 mustang gt vibration in front driveline at 72mph and 2200 rpm need help

My 2010 mustang 4.6 has a vibration if I get up to 75 mph and let off gas. As it slows to 70mph and 2200rpm I get this drone vibration through that range coming from front of car. If I give gas it clears up but if I push clutch in it also goes away. Dealership said normal but I don't think so. Any help would be much appreciated. All stock car only has 2800 miles. Also if i keep it steady at 70-72mph it vibrates. Dealership had it for month and finally i told them to put in a driveshaft and it helped a little. Tried reindexing shaft. Made worse... I need help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwells3 View Post
My 2010 mustang 4.6 has a vibration if I get up to 75 mph and let off gas. As it slows to 70mph and 2200rpm I get this drone vibration through that range coming from front of car. If I give gas it clears up but if I push clutch in it also goes away. Dealership said normal but I don't think so. Any help would be much appreciated. All stock car only has 2800 miles. Also if i keep it steady at 70-72mph it vibrates. Dealership had it for month and finally i told them to put in a driveshaft and it helped a little. Tried reindexing shaft. Made worse... I need help!
It does this with the stock shaft? If so that’s odd, the stock shafts were the only “vibration free” shafts out there till PST and The Driveshaft Shop just released their true 1pc units with a CV joint.

If they replaced the shaft and it didn’t help the next thing to look at is the rear end. Ford has replaced A LOT of rear ends due to driveline vibrations since 2005. It’s not at all unheard of.

You can also get the rear tires road force balanced. I wasn’t real sold on road force balancing until recently. I had a new set of tires that weren’t quite right no matter what the tire shop did. Then they sent them out for road force balancing and they were PERFECT!

Good luck.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well the new shaft did help a little. I Reindexed it and lined up the yellow dots in the back. It helped but not 100 percent . I just had tires road forced and ended up putting new wheels and tires and no help. I have no noise in rear and it sound like about the engine area it vibrates.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

you said you have the stock wheels, right? just checking because . . .

one thing that many shops will miss, with aftermarket wheels, the factory clips on the wheel studs will make the wheels not sit flat on the hubs and cause vibrations at various speeds . . . but if you have the factory wheels that is not the issue, they have pockets where the clips fit on the back of the wheels

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Probably should have told u factory rims did it too. Dealer has road forced 3 times on factory rims so i bought aftermarket had them road forced and removed rotor retainers and added hub rings. All that never changed the vibes
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Update.....car at dealership they are replacing tranny.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well got my car back yesterday and its not only not fixed but now i have two problems. Ford sucks....They replaced every component in rearend including lsd diff....now I not only have a vibration at 70 mph still I now have a whining on deceleration at all speeds....so apparently the differential guy they have had for 20 odd years is full of crap and cannot setup a rearend right.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012
Rookie

2010 mustang gt vibration in front driveline at 72mph and 2200 rpm need help

I have an 07 GT and am having the same problem. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and was told the rear diff was leaking. They replaced the seal and then I started having the vibration between 70 & 75. I picked up my car Friday (after 2.5 weeks in the shop) and it has a new drive shaft, ring and pinion, engine mounts, tranny mount. New whinning noise on decelleration (which started after they replaced the drive shaft at the dealer). They said I'd get it back 100% (it has every problem I took it in for and more...) They told me it would take 200 - 300 miles for the friction modifier to break in...??? I think its crazy!!! Why don't the certified ford mechanics know what the heck is wrong?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012

My stock D/S vibrated...you had to really look for it but it was there. When I was dealing with Dynotech they told me Ford had problems with the rear differentials and everything had to be balanced together prior to assembly.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 2010GT_NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwells3 View Post
Probably should have told u factory rims did it too. Dealer has road forced 3 times on factory rims so i bought aftermarket had them road forced and removed rotor retainers and added hub rings. All that never changed the vibes
Any update on the issue? Is it fixed?
Rookie

GT vibration at 72 MPH

Have consistently experienced a vibration in the car at 72 mph. Dealer has rotated and balanced tires around 4 times trying to fix it but it still continued. Had the tires replaced by the dealer with balance alignment and it is still there. Seems like the dealers can't figure out what the trouble is from the comments. Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
Have consistently experienced a vibration in the car at 72 mph. Dealer has rotated and balanced tires around 4 times trying to fix it but it still continued. Had the tires replaced by the dealer with balance alignment and it is still there. Seems like the dealers can't figure out what the trouble is from the comments. Any other ideas?
Where is it coming through? Floor board is usually a drivetrain issue. Steering wheel are normally wheels and tires. Not all balances or techs are equal. I went through a similar issue with mine. He local tire shop couldnt get the job done. Finally found a higher end specialty shop that could properly do a road force balance?
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 2010GT_NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
Try removing the rotor clips. They were left on there by the factory, and will cause the vibration with stock or aftermarket wheels. This fixes it for most people.
Rookie

Are you sure it's not normal engine vibrations? Are you certain it's speed specific? These motors are not perfectly balanced throughout the rpm range. If you downshift is the vibration still there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page