'05 - mid '08 4.6L 3V Spark plugs??? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I am almost positive they r two piece. When i removed them to swap to HT0's they came out with no issues. Picked them up at autozone.

2008 Mustang GT
Paxton NOVI 2200
Johnny Lighting Tuned 518/464
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I've been doing my research and read what many have posted on this. I was a bit nervous since I have 85k miles on my orig plugs so was very concerned that one or more might break. I didn't want to spend the money on the Lisle tool if I didn't have to, so I made sure the local Napa had one in stock before I started.

This is how I did it:

I ran about half a can of Sea Foam through the PCV Hose while the engine was running.

With the engine still hot I pulled the coils and backed out the spark plugs 1/4 turn.

Then I sprayed enough SeaFoam Deep Creep to get to the bottom of the porcelain. Basicly I figured a 2 flank attack on the plugs with Sea Foam to allow it to disolve the carbon.

Then, over the next 2 hours, I would slightly loosen, slightly tighten, then slightly loosen the plug and apply a bit more Deep Creep every 30 min.

While I did this, I changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter, and cleaned my air filter.

After the 2 hours, SUCCESS!! I was able to get all 8 out without any breakage. There was conciderable carbon on the plugs, but with the Sea Foam, it was all disolved and just slimey on the tip.

After removing all the plugs, and all the excess Deep Creep drained into the engine, I cranked the engine a bit to prevent hydrolock.

I then proceded to replace them all with a set of Brisk plugs, and even tho they are one piece plugs, I still put some anti-seize on the tips.

The reason I went with the Deep Creep was due to the fact that not only is it a penatrating fluid, but Sea Foam is known for its ability to disolve carbon, also, I knew it would not damage the engine when I allowed it all to drain in from the plug.

To cap it all off, when I started the engine afterward, the cloud that came out of my exhaust was much bigger then when I have Sea Foamed the engine following their recomended procedure.

Hope this helps.

Rookie

Im running the brisk plugs and have had no problems either. A little pricey but seemed to be the best plug with the best reviews for my application (nitrous). Taking the old ones out was a little nerve racking especially with 60000 miles on the motor, they sounded horrible coming out but just take your time with it and you should be fine I didn't break any.

2007 Mustang Gt
Performance : Jlt cold air intake, Mac Ceramic Longtube Headers, Offroad X Pipe, Borla Stingers, Frpp 4.10 Gears, Brenspeed Tune, Eibach Pro Kit, Zex wet injection Nitrous kit (100 shot):laughlitt.
Show: Eleanor grill, 8 Inch shorty antenna, sequential tail lights, 8k HID's, Billet GT fuel door, GT500 wheels.
309 HP 324 TQ N/A
390 HP 450 TQ Nitrous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page