What will void an extended warranty? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

What will void an extended warranty?

I want to add chrome valve covers, an under-hood chrome dress-up kit (chrome radiator cover with GT logo, etc.), a new fuel door with the GT logo, and a push start button to my 2010 Mustang GT. Will any of that void my extended warranty, though? My regular warranty expired at 36,000 miles, but my extended warranty runs through 100,000 miles.

FOXX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

No. The valve covers, engine dress up kit, fuel door and push start button wont affect the car's performance or reliability in any way. Just make it better to look at.

The only things that void the warranty of the car is an aftermarket part in place of an OEM part. Example, if you buy a a cold air intake, then the warranty for your cold air intake is obviously voided. Nothing else is voided, but if that cold air intake causes, say, the engine to somehow blow up and they give you proof that the cold air intake caused the engine to fail, then it voids the engine too. But other than that, the only thing that is voided is the aftermarket part. I'm actually quite curious that you thought dress up parts would void your warranty in that way, but no big deal. Have fun dressing up the car!

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have an extended warranty also. I have installed FRPP CAI with a Bama race tune(just put it back to stock tune before going to dealer), FRPP 4:10's, BBK shorties with a BBK catted X-pipe(dealer installed), Flowmaster thunder series exhaust and UPR LCA's and UCA(dealer installed). Currently my car is at the dealer with the rear end carrier that had a spider gear coming apart and they are covering that under warranty(parts and labor). So I have'nt had any issues with the dealer, however as GT Gone noted, if the after market part is found to have caused the issue then it won't be covered. So the parts you are installing will absolutely not void the warranty.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

In 1975 the US passed the Morris Magnuson Act, which governs product warranties. In general, they cannot deny warranty coverage on your car because you used third party parts, unless they establish that the non-Ford parts caused the failure of the warranted part. For example they can't deny coverage on your transmission because you installed a CAI.
Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaMagnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

However, that does not mean they won't deny the warranty coverage if they can establish abuse. If you installed the CAI so that you can go drag racing every weekend (and they find out about it) that may generate a whole new discussion of warranty coverage. Some dealers also take a look at a car with a lot of mods and immediately assume its being abused.

Also remember that an extended warranty is more of an insurance policy than a true warranty. Your original 36k warranty was provided to you by Ford as part of your purchase. If you bought an extended warranty from Ford it has different deductibles and policies, and it is not completely equivalent to your original coverage. They have more flexibility to deny or limit coverage on an extended warranty.

Bruce
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
PONY Member

i asked about the extended warranty when we ordered our '13. guy had to get back w/ me, but the warranty company said that ANY modifications to the car would void the warranty.

Heads, Cams, Edelbrock Eforce, 4.10 & true-trac, TR6060 trans, DSS driveshaft, Full BMR suspension, tokico d-specs, eibach pro kit springs
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bob View Post
i asked about the extended warranty when we ordered our '13. guy had to get back w/ me, but the warranty company said that ANY modifications to the car would void the warranty.
new tires that didnt come stock?
would that cause the engine to explode and void the warranty?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012
PONY Member

no, but this wasn't for the manufactures warranty it was quoted from the extended warranty company. besides tires aren't a modification to a warranty company. they are a wear item just like brake pads or a clutch. maybe if you tried to get a warranty with some et streets on the car. then i could see them saying you're racing it thus it was damaged because of abuse.

Heads, Cams, Edelbrock Eforce, 4.10 & true-trac, TR6060 trans, DSS driveshaft, Full BMR suspension, tokico d-specs, eibach pro kit springs
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Have you actually read the warranty? That would be a good place to start.

It probably excludes "any" modifications, but that is probably subject to judgment and can probably be used to deny coverage if they are in the mood.

As an asside -- personally I would avoid the push-button start; just because I think they are kinda goofy (personal opinion, each to his own) and that is the only thing in your list that might actually cause problems.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012
PONY Member

didn't even bother because since it was an extended warranty i knew that the chance of her not wanting to do a tune ect was slim

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bob View Post

I would tell them to kiss my ass lol I'm not waiting to 100k miles or when the warranty expires to start doin stuff to my car

2013 Mustang GT - MT82 - Gotta Have It Green
Flowmaster Hushpower mufflers | Barton short throw | Roush chin spoiler
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08blackout View Post
I would tell them to kiss my ass lol I'm not waiting to 100k miles or when the warranty expires to start doin stuff to my car
Yeah, unfortunately I have the extended warranty and it's a load of bull. Still never stopped me from modding though :nogrinner

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
PONY Member

haha i ordered my 07 and had parts waiting before i even took delivery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page