Confused New Owner - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Confused New Owner

I just purchased a 2007 Mustang GT from an Authorized Ford dealer and found out after the fact that the car that they certified has more mods than they stated when I purchased it. The car has C&L cold air intake,BBK throdle body,BBK headers, BBK H pipes with FlowMaster exhaust. I just found out that it has 4:10 gears and a different clutch and shifter and has been tuned but I have no idea what tune it has. My question is if something goes wrong will Ford cover it with all these mods? I purchased an extended warranty that will cover an additional 36k. The car runs and sounds great....should I worry or just drive it? I need someone else's opinion. Advise....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

it's hard to say what a dealer might do...for me? Just drive it...a very solid car with few reported issues

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hi there, welcome aboard and congrats on your Mustang!
Since you've got the extended warranty from the dealership where you bought it with the mods it has, they should honor the warranty if anything happens... Just my .02 cents. I would check with them to be sure.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

if it's a third-party warranty beware.....some of them are pretty shady with lot's of restrictions......

There is no such thing as to much horespower..!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hopefully not an issue, but you never know what they might do to get out of the warranty if there is a big claim ; "you modified the car so we are not responsible" is a good "out" for them. Read the warranty, I bet there is something in there about that.

I think you should get the dealer to document the mods, so they cannot claim that they were done by you after they sold you the car. That may be easier said than done; I had a similar issue when I bought my car and found out that it had been tuned -- first they tried to deny it, then they said it did not matter, so I said "ok, then give me something in writing that says that you will cover the warranty regardless of any tunes or modifications" . . . which they did reluctantly, but they worded it vaguely so it could be subject to argument if it ever came up.

The unknown tune is another difficult issue. Unfortunately you do not have the factory tune, and I think that will be a problem if you try to get your own tuner / tunes. You could talk with Bama or Brenspeed about that -- to find out if it is a problem that you do not have access to the original factory tune.

It would be great if the dealer would put you in touch with the original owner so you could find out about the tune, but they probably will claim "privacy" and refuse to do it.

I went through this with my car and it was very annoying. But the good news is, in the end I have a great car with no problems so far.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

Last edited by JBert; 05-22-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
It would be great if the dealer would put you in touch with the original owner so you could find out about the tune, but they probably will claim "privacy" and refuse to do it.

I went through this with my car and it was very annoying. But the good news is, in the end I have a great car with no problems so far.
The dealer has to get written permission from the previous owner to give out his name and phone number. On a car with mods, the previous owner may not reply, fearing liability and/or angry customer.

2008 5.0
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMAMF5 View Post
The dealer has to get written permission from the previous owner to give out his name and phone number. On a car with mods, the previous owner may not reply, fearing liability and/or angry customer.
Yeah, understood . . . but in my situation, I asked them to PLEASE contact the prior owner, give him MY number, and ask him to call me. I never met a Mustang owner who wouldn't want to talk to another Mustang guy about his former 'stang . . . but they would not do it, even though they claimed to be in frequent contact with the former owner since he was such a great regular customer. Somebody was lying to somebody and/or covering something up, and it made me VERY uncomfortable. Such is life with the typical stealership . . .

They even told me not to worry about the tune, even though there was a sticker on my fuel filler that said "premium fuel only" (didn't notice until the first time I filled up, after I bought the car) it was OK to run 87 octane . . . were they just stupid, or lying to me on purpose? Or both?

I had to go to a different dealer (no way I was going to trust those guys) and get my car flashed back to stock, so then I would have a factory tune, and then I could get a tuner from Bama and go from there. Luckily my car did not have any mods that REQUIRE a tune; that would have made it much more difficult.

Anyhow, it all worked out in the end, but I feel the OP's pain . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Engine rebuild thread incoming!

[quote=TrickPony10713;3064153]I just purchased a 2007 Mustang GT from an Authorized Ford dealer and found out after the fact that the car that they certified has more mods than they stated when I purchased it. The car has C&L cold air intake,BBK throdle body,BBK headers, BBK H pipes with FlowMaster exhaust. I just found out that it has 4:10 gears and a different clutch and shifter and has been tuned but I have no idea what tune it has. quote]

Quote:
I had to go to a different dealer (no way I was going to trust those guys) and get my car flashed back to stock, so then I would have a factory tune, and then I could get a tuner from Bama and go from there. Luckily my car did not have any mods that REQUIRE a tune; that would have made it much more difficult.

Anyhow, it all worked out in the end, but I feel the OP's pain . . .
Red alert man! With the mods listed you most definately need a tune. You are flowing more air thru the motor than the stock flash can account for. Get ahold of tuner of choice and get that thing flashed with a proper tune for your setup ASAP!

2008 5.0
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMAMF5
Red alert man! With the mods listed you most definately need a tune. You are flowing more air thru the motor than the stock flash can account for. Get ahold of tuner of choice and get that thing flashed with a proper tune for your setup ASAP!
To the OP TrickPony10713 -- sorry about going a little off track here, don't want to confuse you further -- you should be OK as-is assuming the (unknown) tune in the car is appropriate for your mods ; there is really no reason to assume otherwise (just pay attention for any pinging or knocking and if you hear any then back off and figure out what is going on)

Unfortunately getting your own tuner may be a problem because you don't have the factory tune as I mentioned previously

Warranty is a tough question as already discussed above

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Unfortunately getting your own tuner may be a problem because you don't have the factory tune as I mentioned previously
If anyone else has had this issue and had a tuner company help them out...please post up.

2008 5.0
Apprentice

Why not just order a tune from breen speed or Bama with the right mods. Take the stang to the dealer have tbem flash a factory tune pull the car out and put the new tune on. No bubbles no troubles. Plus now you have a tuner to play with. Best thin I have bought for any car I have ever owned.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon04 View Post
Why not just order a tune from breen speed or Bama with the right mods. Take the stang to the dealer have tbem flash a factory tune pull the car out and put the new tune on. . . .
yeah if you have the tuner with you and re-flash the car in the dealer's parking lot you should be OK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page