Universal Turbo for 06 GT opinion - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Universal Turbo for 06 GT opinion

Good afternoon guys, ive been looking at this universal turbo for my 06 GT and would like some opinons on it. Im not looking to spend alot (the main reason this turbo caught my attention) but would definitely like to get the best bang for my buck without shooting gas. All I am really looking for are opinons on the turbo itself. Thanks everyone in advance and I appreciate yall's help.

Universal GT35 T4 .68AR Turbo Kit Turbo Starter Kit Wastegate 3.0'' Intercooler | eBay

Mustangs owned:

89 LX
90 GT
94 GT
06 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Looking for opinions on this universal turbo... thanks in advance everyone (not really sure why the thread isn't showing properly on my computer so im assuming its like that on everyones as well)

Universal GT35 T4 .68AR Turbo Kit Turbo Starter Kit Wastegate 3.0'' Intercooler | eBay

Mustangs owned:

89 LX
90 GT
94 GT
06 GT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
PONY Member

i wouldn't even consider it. by the time you get it to work you'll have much more $$$ into it.

if you want an affordable turbo kit i suggest getting on S197forum and messaging one of the guys from S&H Performance.

Heads, Cams, Edelbrock Eforce, 4.10 & true-trac, TR6060 trans, DSS driveshaft, Full BMR suspension, tokico d-specs, eibach pro kit springs

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah, the real cost of a complete turbo install is WAY more than they make you think with that kit. There will be all kinds of custom plumbing involved, by the time you are done you probably won't have any hair or money left.

Turbos sound great in theory ; but from what I have read and researched, superchargers are much more practical because they are much simpler to install; none of that fancy exhaust plumbing required.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

When it somes to parts “universal” directly translates into “fits nothing”.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

makes me suspicious as well.....Most turbo kits are in 3500.00 to 5000.00 range, designed for your ride as opposed to this 800.00 unit that you are going to have to piece meal together to make all fit....+ no tunes at all.

Just seems to good to be true. I did a google search on it, and the seem to make kits for a slew of cars and trucks...no reviews at any site....and the bare turbo is around 300.00 bucks or so......would give me the jitters....Seems to be made and/or sold by "GodSpeed" and there site is rather useless...seems to be popular with the rice rocket vehicles as they a lot of kits for them...

There is no such thing as to much horespower..!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks alot guys I really appreciate the input. Ill start looking into the supercharger kits (hopefully some much less than 5 grand) and go from there.

Mustangs owned:

89 LX
90 GT
94 GT
06 GT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcheckit View Post
Thanks alot guys I really appreciate the input. Ill start looking into the supercharger kits (hopefully some much less than 5 grand) and go from there.
see sqidd's signature in his reply above

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012
GT Member

As a general rule, avoid ebay turbos at all costs. They're Chinese and total junk. It annoyed me when Hot Rod extolled their virtues because they slapped them on a couple engines and made lots of power, but just because they survived a few dyno pulls doesn't really mean much.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
Apprentice
S197 Member

I think soemthing like that could be fun to tinker with on another application. You would probably learn a lot about turbos in the process. Would I try it on our cars? Heck no. If I had nothing to do and wanted to mess around with a beater car that I didnt care if I completely ruined I would consider it just for the fun of tinkering. Waste of money? Yeah probably. If I learned something in the process and it didnt cost me an a$$ load of money then I say what the heck.

I always wanted to turbo a motorcycle. I thought it would be fun. Maybe even a lawnmower, hahaha. :kooky:
GT Member

Turbos are fun to play with, I loved my Turbo Coupe. But I wouldn't run the cheap Chinese turbos on anything I cared about. I've heard about wheels shattering on them, and if a compressor wheel shattered and you didn't have an intercooler...bye bye engine.

Good turbos are expensive for a reason.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
GT Member

You could use it as a mock up and replace most of the parts when you have everything modified to fit.

You have to options when you need welding, milling, turning run to a machine shop or by 25,000 dollars worth of basic machinery assuming you know how to use it.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page