Stang Search Questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Stang Search Questions

Hello Folks,

Now that I finally have my daily driver paid off and can start putting more towards getting a Mustang, I'm able to start seriously looking rather than just letting a puddle of drool form on my laptop from searching vehix and autotraders websites. I've come up with a couple of questions.

I can't find it, but some time ago I read on here that the 2006 and up Mustangs either have a feature that the 2005 did not, or do not have a problem that the 2005 had. I cannot remember what exactly it was, but I've been limiting my searching to 2006 - 2009 model years. Does anyone know right off what this was? I can't even think of what it had to do with, but for some reason I've felt it important enough to remove the 2005 model from my searches ever since reading about it. If it was something minor, I can add the 2005 year to my searches which should help me both pricewise and number of vehicles able to be found.

Secondly, I'm definitely looking for a 5-speed, but have noticed quite a few deals on some automatics. Is it feasable to swap a manual tranny into a car that was built as an auto? I'm guessing that since it's a mass produced vehicle, the holes/grommets would be there for the clutch and stuff in an auto car. I'm just wondering if saving the money on the car itself would be worth the headache of the tranny swap, but not sure howmuch of a headache that would be.

Same question actually applies here, but with engines. Have come across some great deals on some V6s, but I know I want a GT. Is the engine/suspension swap worth the headache of purchasing a V6 over just buying a GT in the first place? Are the rear ends and brakes also different from the V6 to the GT?

Just looking for some help to make my searching easier. The best deal I've come across so far is an 06 GT with 53k on the ODO, and asking price is 11k, but it's an Automatic.

LC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012
GT Member

There were lots of minor issues with both the 05 and 06 models. If those issues were dealt with under warranty by previous owners, then there would be no problem with purchasing an 05 or 06. If you want to make sure you are less likely to have problems, then start looking at 07 and newer. I repeat, those problems, were all minor. No major engine or transmission issues even with the earliest 05 cars.

Buy the car with the engine and transmission you want. Don't even think about a possible switch of engine, trans or suspension...too expensive and too much work involved.

Shop for the best deal on the model you want. Have it checked by a technician before purchasing it... to make sure it is a good sample (not abused, not wrecked). This is much more important than worrying about which year car to buy. Buy a car with no modifications is your best bet also, in an attempt to get a car not abused.

Get the model and options you want, even if you have to work weeks or months longer to be able to afford it.

And if you find a real deal on an 05 or 06...go for it ...nothing really important to be afraid of.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012
PONY Member

best bang for the buck would be a used 07/08 gt500, but if you can't swing 30k then a gt is a great start.

as said above all the little quirks that come with all new body styles should have already been fixed in the 05/06 years. i wouldn't take them off the table at all.

it's pretty common to swap from or to a manual trans, but if you are doing the swap i wouldn't even think about the 5 speed 3650. just find a gt500 tr6060 6 speed trans. you'll be happier in the end. the 6060 will give you significantly better highway mileage and also it's rated at 700tq. involved with an auto to manual would be the trans, trans cross member, wiring, computer (i think), pedal assembly.

if you do find an auto you buy i would challenge you to get a tune and have the shift points improved before you definitely go with a trans swap. you may find yourself pleasantly suprised after it's tuned.

the 06GT w/ an auto for 11k is a killer deal as long as the car is nice and checks out to be good.

Heads, Cams, Edelbrock Eforce, 4.10 & true-trac, TR6060 trans, DSS driveshaft, Full BMR suspension, tokico d-specs, eibach pro kit springs

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. This helps broaden my search and increase my chances of finding the stang I'm looking for. Hopefully I can get into something at a decent price. I'm not in any rush, so I don't have a problem with being patient. It won't be a daily driver, so no rush complete a build or anything.

Loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page