Under drive Pulleys - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Under drive Pulleys

Going to install Steeda under drive pulleys into my 09 GT here in the next few weeks and a good friend advised me that i will need a new smaller drive belt. Has anyone installed these pulleys and needed a new drive belt? I've seen the youtube videos from steeda and they don't mention anything about a new drive belt.

Also has anyone achieve MPG improvements with these pulleys?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The crankshaft pully is smaller, but the water pump pully is larger. The difference in size is such that you use the stock belt.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy them.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012
Rookie
5.0L Member

Ive installed them before on both my cars. Although they are different cars than your '09 (both of mine are '89 5.0's) i dont think you will need a new belt. I used the same belt in both cases.. I didnt really noticed any MPG gains tho.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You don't need a new drive belt. You may pick up .5-1 MPG. You will definitely free up some HP which is more fun. I put more thought into SPG (smiles per gallon). Check my sig.

2008 GT 4.10 gears; 5sp. Hurst Competition Plus; SCT X3 w/ Brenspeed 91 race tune; Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Cams; JLT cai; Steeda UDP; Steeda Sport springs, bump steer kit, & X-5 ball joints; GT500 struts, shocks, front sway bar, & upper strut mounts; Progress rear sway bar; Bridgestone Potenza RE 760 tires.

317 RWHP / 316 RWT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012
Apprentice

Scott 197, your profile says that you have the Detroit rockers.
How are they compared to the Hot Rods, is the idle as rough or milder?
I`m about to do a cam swap, but it`s hard to get any info about theese cams were i live ( Sweden)
Would be greateful for any input about theese cams.

Regards
/Claes

07 GT, C&L Racer, Brenspeed 93 tune, Detroit Rockers cams, FRPP TB, JBA Shorties, Steeda UDP, Corsa axlback and X-pipe, FRPP handlingpack,
Hankook V12 Evo 255/45-18.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

like they said, the belt will be fine, the spring tensioner will easily take up any difference

be prepared with a big breaker bar; that sucker is tough to get loose . . . and a big torque wrench to torque it down again

if you have an automatic transmission, you will need an impact wrench to get the crank bolt out (because the engine will just turn otherwise)

you can re-use the crank bolt, but it is better to get a new one (just a few bucks at Ford dealer) because the bolt is "torque to yield" so they are really supposed to be used only once

I got maybe 0.5 MPG improvement

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwi View Post
Scott 197, your profile says that you have the Detroit rockers.
How are they compared to the Hot Rods, is the idle as rough or milder?
I`m about to do a cam swap, but it`s hard to get any info about theese cams were i live ( Sweden)
Would be greateful for any input about theese cams.

Regards
/Claes
I have the Detroit rOcKeRs too.. (Thanks Scott!!!) and i have them through a set of KOOKs LT headers, catted H and small SSS exhaust... They sound bad a$$. I've not heard the other cams.. The idle is rough enough for me. thats for sure.

2010 Mustang GT, FRPP 3:73.1 gears, Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. supercharger, SCT brenspeed tune, KOOKS LT headers, catted H pipe, SSS axleback exhaust, Comp Cams Detroit RoCkErS, brenspeed grind, DuPont SuperJetBlack re-spray w/ ChromaPremier clear, blocked down and buffed out, no orange peel! and a 3m clear bra.. It sounds like my Ducati 996 now. :-P
BHP? Lots, I guess...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I put those under drive pulleys on my 06 GT and you don't need a new belt. The system is designed to reuse the stock belt with no change in tension at all.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page