Wheel Locking Kit....What is it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wheel Locking Kit....What is it?

Hello all! I just purchased a 2005 GT and noticed that the sticker says Wheel Locking Kit for $50.00. I am just curious what exactly this is? Is there suppose to be a wheel lock key for the lug nuts. I can't seem to find anything like that in the car, other than the lug nut wrench near the spare tire in the bottom of the trunk.

I appreciate any information you may have about this option.

Thanks,
Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason29
Hello all! I just purchased a 2005 GT and noticed that the sticker says Wheel Locking Kit for $50.00. I am just curious what exactly this is? Is there suppose to be a wheel lock key for the lug nuts. I can't seem to find anything like that in the car, other than the lug nut wrench near the spare tire in the bottom of the trunk.

I appreciate any information you may have about this option.

Thanks,
Jason
The wheel lock kit is just the locking lug nuts - my dealer left the key and the extra standard nuts in a package in my glove box, along with the code number for the key in case I loose it. If you have't found the key for the lug wrench then I'd sure as heck contact your dealer - hopefully you won't need to change a flat anytime soon!

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004 Thread Starter
Rookie

The dealer had initially installed the high polished Bullet wheels that Ford is offering as an accessory this year. They wanted $2000 for them, so I asked them to put the factory wheels back on the car.

I had noticed when the high polished wheels were on the car, they had a key hole in one of the lug nuts of each wheel. However, now that the factory wheels are back on, I don't see a key hole when I look at the wheels. Do your factory wheels have a key hole in one of the lug nuts that are visible? I am thinking that maybe when the dealer swapped the wheels back off, he took the locking wheel kit with them.

Please let me know if your key hole is visible. Thank you!

Jason

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
The dealer had initially installed the high polished Bullet wheels that Ford is offering as an accessory this year. They wanted $2000 for them, so I asked them to put the factory wheels back on the car.

I had noticed when the high polished wheels were on the car, they had a key hole in one of the lug nuts of each wheel. However, now that the factory wheels are back on, I don't see a key hole when I look at the wheels. Do your factory wheels have a key hole in one of the lug nuts that are visible? I am thinking that maybe when the dealer swapped the wheels back off, he took the locking wheel kit with them.

Please let me know if your key hole is visible. Thank you!

Jason
Whoops - when I say "key" I do not mean in the sense of a traditional key as you may use on a door lock. This is just a socket essentially that goes onto the head of the lug wrench and one nut on each wheel has the matching pattern in the top of it. Supposedly the patterns are diverse enough that they are not easy to match, but I am not sure how much truth there is to that. So just look for one lug nut on each wheel that is not like the others and has a star-shapped groove around the top of it. If you say you saw an actual key hole on your wheels before and it's gone after they changed the wheels, sounds to me like someone has your wheel lock set, and if you paid for them, then I'd be sure to follow up on that.

Good luck with that! :smilie

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004 Thread Starter
Rookie

No problem. I understand what you are saying about the "key." Yes, before the wheel swap, there was one lug nut with the grooves in it. Now they are all round and look the same. My guess is that the locks went with the high polished wheels.

It may not be worth having them switch the lug nuts out again. If they want to steal those ugly factory wheels, go ahead. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get stranded with a flat. Will probably replace with after market chrome wheels with their own locks.

You don't have to remove any lug nut covers to see the grooves, do you?

Thanks,
Jason
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
No problem. I understand what you are saying about the "key." Yes, before the wheel swap, there was one lug nut with the grooves in it. Now they are all round and look the same. My guess is that the locks went with the high polished wheels.

It may not be worth having them switch the lug nuts out again. If they want to steal those ugly factory wheels, go ahead. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get stranded with a flat. Will probably replace with after market chrome wheels with their own locks.

You don't have to remove any lug nut covers to see the grooves, do you?

Thanks,
Jason
Nope - at least on mine they are plainly visible. And I agree - I am more concerned about the car being stolen than the wheels.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you very much for your assistance! It is truly appreciated. :thumbup
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for your assistance! It is truly appreciated. :thumbup
anytime my friend - enjoy the car!

Foruntately being in CA the Ms. and I were able to enjoy a fun drive up PCH this afternoon in the new Mustang. I haven't been in Ohio since about 15 years ago, and while I miss just about everything else about the East (especially the people!), I certainly do not miss the weather!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004 Thread Starter
Rookie

You are right, you can't beat the weather out in CA! Especially now that Ohio has fallen under its yearly dark blanket of cloudy days until April. The search for the sun begins..

What color is your 2005?

Thanks again,
Jason
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
You are right, you can't beat the weather out in CA! Especially now that Ohio has fallen under its yearly dark blanket of cloudy days until April. The search for the sun begins..

What color is your 2005?

Thanks again,
Jason
It is black. And yours?

Yeah - while I was young enough not to have to work yet when we lived there (Pennsylvania to be precise), I know my dad did not enjoy having to dig the car out of the driveway everyday. But I do miss the diference in "community" out here. I hardly know any of my neighbors. Although, they know who I am NOW - the guy with the sweet black Mustang. :nogrinner

I am about to head out in a few minutes to visit my brother - oh darn, another 50 mile drive I'll just have to suffer through.

Talk later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiobao
anytime my friend - enjoy the car!

Foruntately being in CA the Ms. and I were able to enjoy a fun drive up PCH this afternoon in the new Mustang. I haven't been in Ohio since about 15 years ago, and while I miss just about everything else about the East (especially the people!), I certainly do not miss the weather!
Florida > Cali
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfriik
Florida > Cali
well, I was going to tease you about the fact that we do not get Hurricanes, but then again - we do have earthquakes.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mine is silver with the red/black interior.

Yes, the snow can be a real pain! I just hope it is a mild winter. I hope you enjoyed the nice 50 mile drive in the new Mustang today.

Take care,
Jason
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Mine is silver with the red/black interior.

Yes, the snow can be a real pain! I just hope it is a mild winter. I hope you enjoyed the nice 50 mile drive in the new Mustang today.

Take care,
Jason
Yeah - as my luck would have it - it rained on the trip home!!!

Hope winter goes easy on you and you get to drive plenty!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page