New to tuning/Predator tuner - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

New to tuning/Predator tuner

Hey guys just had a few questions. I recently picked up a 2005 GT that is completely stock. The original owner (older guy) wasn't very tech savvy. However, the car did come with a Predator Tuner. He told me he always ran 91 octane but didn't know if the car was tuned or not. Is there any way to see what tune if any that I am running with the tuner ? ie: just plug it in and let it do its thing. It is the right tuner for the year, a 7140 I double checked. I am almost certain that the car is not custom tuned as it is completely stock. Also, if the battery is disconnected over the winter does this reset everything to stock? I am going through a huge learning curve right now with the car so any help is appreciated. I used the search feature first but came up a bit short.

Thanks
El STorcho

2005 HP White GT - Auto - Red Leather Interior -Shaker 1000 - FR-500-S Axle Backs -Roush TVS 2300 Supercharged - GT500 Fuel pumps, GT500 TB, Aeroforce Dual Gauges, Performance Automatic 5r55S with hardened input shaft, PA 3000 Stall Converter , Dynotech one piece aluminum D/S, Roush Brakes,
FR3 Handling Pack and CHE LCA's and relocation brackets.
462 RWHP 443TQ

Last edited by Robs1stStang; 06-10-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: for got something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Plug it in to the car. You should be able to see if there is a tune in it. Also is the the car an auto manual? It would be easier to tell if the cars an auto. Because if the tune was installed the car would or should spin the wheels when you punch it. Anyways good luck with the mustang. I love mine

Cherry, 05 mustang gt Black, w/red leather, AUTO
RZ pro speed 20" concave wheels
Sct tuner w/Brenspeed 93,89 and 87.
Jlt cold air intake, Mac prochamber with slp loudmouths, Drop zone lowering springs and a stallion on car adjustable panhard bar.
Ran a best of 13.343 @ 102.70, 60' 2.053. (On street tires)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

After connecting the Predator, it will display a menu that includes an OPTIONS item. Use the down arrow button on the Predator case to scroll down and highlight that item. Next, press the center circle button between the arrow buttons on the Predator case to select that item. You should now see a menu with a "Last Tune Written" item. Scroll down to it, and select it. You should now be able to see which tune is currently in the ECM's memory.
Disconnecting the battery will not erase the tune.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
no a dead/unpluged battery doesn't reset your tunes to stock

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks guys. The car is an auto. I'll get to it sometime soon. I appreciate the responses. gotta go drive 300 miles to work.

El STorcho

2005 HP White GT - Auto - Red Leather Interior -Shaker 1000 - FR-500-S Axle Backs -Roush TVS 2300 Supercharged - GT500 Fuel pumps, GT500 TB, Aeroforce Dual Gauges, Performance Automatic 5r55S with hardened input shaft, PA 3000 Stall Converter , Dynotech one piece aluminum D/S, Roush Brakes,
462 RWHP 443TQ
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So I finally got around to trying out the tuner. As it turns out there was an 87 oct performance tune in the vehicle. Since I am running at least 91 oct I changed it to the 91 oct performance tune. Seems like there is a bit of a difference that's for sure. The car seems like it has better throttle response, not terribly faster, but a lot touchier under my right foot. Any other thoughts on this. Is this how it's supposed to be? The manual stated that the canned tunes don't touch shift points or firmness. Car is an auto and completely stock except for the 91 tune.

Thanks

El Storcho

462 RWHP 443TQ
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

If you're ok with the current setup, then just stick with the status quo.

But if you're looking for more power, then recommend installing a CAI(C&L, JLT, Steeda are the most popular ones), and a 93 custom tune(not a canned tune in the Predator). Your car is currently getting an approx. 10 rwhp increase with the 91 Predator canned tune. It will get approx. 25 rwhp with a CAI and a 93 custom tune, which you will definitely feel. If 93 octane is not available in your area, then a 91 custom tune will be only a couple rwhp less than a 93 custom tune.
The downside is most custom tuners, like American Muscle and Brenspeed, write tunes for the SCT tuner only. However, I believe brooksspeed.com still writes custom tunes for the DiabloSport Predator tuner.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
The downside is most custom tuners, like American Muscle and Brenspeed, write tunes for the SCT tuner only.
I have tunes for life with my predator tuner from American muscle.

2005 Mustang GT Auto: Mineral Grey with Black stripes, Steeda UDPs, Flowmaster American thunder Axle backs, Bassani catted X-pipe , JLT CAI, Ford racing 4.10 gears, Cervini here and there.

The most powerful car in the parking lot.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansBAJ View Post
I have tunes for life with my predator tuner from American muscle.
My bad. I did some further research, and according to the following post from Chris Young of AM, they do write tunes for 2005+ Mustang owners who already have Predator tuners.

SVTPerformance - View Single Post - Custom Bama Tunes for the Predator -03 Cobra
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs1stStang View Post
Hey guys just had a few questions. I recently picked up a 2005 GT that is completely stock. The original owner (older guy) wasn't very tech savvy. However, the car did come with a Predator Tuner. He told me he always ran 91 octane but didn't know if the car was tuned or not. Is there any way to see what tune if any that I am running with the tuner ? ie: just plug it in and let it do its thing. It is the right tuner for the year, a 7140 I double checked. I am almost certain that the car is not custom tuned as it is completely stock. Also, if the battery is disconnected over the winter does this reset everything to stock? I am going through a huge learning curve right now with the car so any help is appreciated. I used the search feature first but came up a bit short.

Thanks
El STorcho
Rob,

Congrats on picking up your new 05 GT! Post up some pics of it when you get a chance.

If you want to reset the car back to stock, you'll have to use the Predator to do it. Unhooking the batter will just clear the KAM memory (that stores emissions data, etc.) and the tunes will still be there when you hook it back up.

Bama can write tunes for your Diablo Predator and I think you'll be really happy with the difference. They can write you (3) different tunes for any octane levels from 87-93, and tailor it for your driving style (Street, Performance or Race). You'll need to buy into the Bama "Free Tunes for Life" program, which will get you the 3 tunes, but also unlimited updates when you add mods down the road.

Bama Tune Files (If You're Not a Free Tunes for Life Member) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Our tunes are all custom built for your PCM code, modifications, drving style, fuel octane, etc. We ask you 19 questions when you place your order, which help us build custom tunes just for your Mustang. "Canned" tunes are tunes that are pre-loaded or built-into your programmer and work across every Mustang. They're not terrible, but there's huge room for improvement.

If you have any questions about the differences, dyno results or want to know what Bama can do for you, just give them a shout! They're here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 10AM-3PM EST at 888.226.9764. They'll be able to answer your questions and walk you through emailing out the tunes and getting them loaded to your Predator.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
My bad. I did some further research, and according to the following post from Chris Young of AM, they do write tunes for 2005+ Mustang owners who already have Predator tuners.

SVTPerformance - View Single Post - Custom Bama Tunes for the Predator -03 Cobra
No biggie. Just wanted to let him know that he can still use BAMA.

2005 Mustang GT Auto: Mineral Grey with Black stripes, Steeda UDPs, Flowmaster American thunder Axle backs, Bassani catted X-pipe , JLT CAI, Ford racing 4.10 gears, Cervini here and there.

The most powerful car in the parking lot.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Great help guys, I really appreciate all the insight. I am truly in love with this car. Once I figure out what I want to do to the car I will definitely give AM a shout, Thanks Chris. It is going into the body shop on Friday to install the hood and side scoops/louvers,etc that I already received from AM. Car is going to look great 1st then we'll get her to run. I will probably just go with the CAI to start. Don't know whether or not I will be force feeding her in the future.(always an option) For right now it is plenty fast for me. I only street drive it and don't track it yet. I will try to post before and after pics just have to figure out how.

Thanks

El Storcho

462 RWHP 443TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page