traction question again - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

traction question again

Hello everyone,

So I just ordered a pair of j&m extreme lower rear control arms hoping to get some extra traction, the more I reseach them though the more I get told that they don't help that much, all they do is help wheel hop which I don't think I have because when I hit it from a stop the thing just sits there and spins. I run 255 Sumitomo tires to so that probably doesnt help. I will eventually get knew ones, but until then I was wondering what other suspention upgrades is there to help me out (panhead bar, upper control arms etc..). See with my auto i'm making 380 to the crank and i spin threw first second and hit thrid the tires are spinning fast enough that it desides it wants to gear up to 4th and when I hook up finally it drops to 3rd again then it just goes. Hope the control arms will help that, but if not what else is there besides tires. Sorry for the long ass write up lol. Thanks for any help guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to jrowledge
I don't think lower control arms or any parts will stop wheel spin. The set up of the rear suspension is the key. Has the car been lowered? If so, the geometry of the rear suspension is probably working against you. The critical issue is the angle of the lower control arms, they should rise slightly going forward. If yours don't, look into a set of anti squat brackets they will lower the rear mounting point of the lower control arms. The next concern is setting the pinion angle correctly. There are many good articles to describe this process online. After lowering mine, the wheelspin was aggravating, with anti squat brackets and adjustable lower control arms to set pinion angle this was minimized.

Jim
2007 GT/CS, Vista Blue, FRP 200hp supercharger, Ford Racing GTA mufflers, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust,GT-500 rear spoiler, FRP short throw shifter. Eibach Mutli-Pro Coil Over Suspension, BMR K Member & Adjustable Lower Control Arms, Steeda Bump Steer Kit, Steeda X-5 Ball Joints,Maximum Caster Camber Plates(required maching my Steeda Billet strut tower brace end mounts), CHE Adjustable Lower Contols Arms and Anti Squat Brackets. GT-500 wheels and tires, Ford Racing 14" Brembo brake set-up.

Last edited by jrowledge; 06-11-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My car has not been lowered, would this still apply to a car that's not lowered?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Your problem is the friction coefficient between the tires and the ground. Going hog wild with the suspension may get you 10% more traction. Nothing will get you a traction improvement like tires/better tire setup will.

With a stone stock suspension and 255 Goodyear Eagles my 2012 hooks up real well. And it is making quite a bit more power.

I’m going to make a guess here. You have those 255 Sumitomo’s on the stock 8-8.5” rims?

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Your problem is the friction coefficient between the tires and the ground. Going hog wild with the suspension may get you 10% more traction. Nothing will get you a traction improvement like tires/better tire setup will.

With a stone stock suspension and 255 Goodyear Eagles my 2012 hooks up real well. And it is making quite a bit more power.

I’m going to make a guess here. You have those 255 Sumitomo’s on the stock 8-8.5” rims?

I got them on 18x9 Bullitt Wheels. What would be a good tire to get that's streetable durable, that will have good grip?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_15 View Post
I got them on 18x9 Bullitt Wheels. What would be a good tire to get that's streetable durable, that will have good grip?
Well at least you have semi wide-ish wheels (some 9.5’s would be better and 10’s better yet).

The tires I would go with, and the ones I will be going with when my 2012 needs new rubber are the Nitto Invo’s, 275/40-18. They are sized correctly for a 9” rim so the sidewall performance will work like it is supposed to.

They are not “high mileage” tires but they are very, very good for a true performance tire. A friend of mine runs them on his car and I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. I am amazed at how well they grip, how much feel they have, how quiet they are and how good they are in the wet for a “performance” tire. There is no such thing as a tire that does everything well and lasts forever, but these are about as close as it gets.

Invo

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_15 View Post
Hello everyone,

So I just ordered a pair of j&m extreme lower rear control arms hoping to get some extra traction, the more I reseach them though the more I get told that they don't help that much, all they do is help wheel hop which I don't think I have because when I hit it from a stop the thing just sits there and spins. I run 255 Sumitomo tires to so that probably doesnt help. I will eventually get knew ones, but until then I was wondering what other suspention upgrades is there to help me out (panhead bar, upper control arms etc..). See with my auto i'm making 380 to the crank and i spin threw first second and hit thrid the tires are spinning fast enough that it desides it wants to gear up to 4th and when I hook up finally it drops to 3rd again then it just goes. Hope the control arms will help that, but if not what else is there besides tires. Sorry for the long ass write up lol. Thanks for any help guys.
Good suspension and sticky tires are both critical to maximizing your traction.

Your quickest/cheapest gain will come from upgrading your tires. But ultimately, upgrading your suspension is important as well. UPR's 2010 GT automatic runs 9.90 @ 133 on drag radials with UPR Pro Street suspension and Hoosier drag radials.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Well at least you have semi wide-ish wheels (some 9.5’s would be better and 10’s better yet).

The tires I would go with, and the ones I will be going with when my 2012 needs new rubber are the Nitto Invo’s, 275/40-18. They are sized correctly for a 9” rim so the sidewall performance will work like it is supposed to.

They are not “high mileage” tires but they are very, very good for a true performance tire. A friend of mine runs them on his car and I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. I am amazed at how well they grip, how much feel they have, how quiet they are and how good they are in the wet for a “performance” tire. There is no such thing as a tire that does everything well and lasts forever, but these are about as close as it gets.

Invo
I love my Invo's as well. Im running 255-35-20 and 295 35 20's . Quiet and way more traction than stock.

'05 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page