Questions about adding a supercharger - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklofti View Post
I love my '07 GT. I love it. That being said, the 2011 is much better platform for mods down the road. I have put this clip on another thread here before, but just so you know what you're seeing.

The person filming this was acutally filming the Evolution Performance car that I'm racing during a qualifying round. It was the first 2011 on the NMRA circuit that year. He was running; same driveshaft, same shocks/ struts and he had a bigs and skinnies setup that I was not running yet. I was running ET Streets on the rear, though. The only mod under the hood of the 2011 was a CAI and tune.

You can look at my sig and see my mods. I am faster now, but I beat him 11.63 to 11.65 on this pass.
Now re-run that race from a 2nd gear roll, which represents 99.9% of races. Or better yet from the apex of a corner out. The blown 3v car will SMASH the 5.0 with a CAI and exhaust.

I have a 2012 5.0. Yeah, it’s pretty fast. But the “second coming” it is not.

And most people do not take into account that the 5.0’s MT-82 transmission is geared super short. Fifth gear in the 5.0 is the same as fourth in the 3v. Driving the 5.0 is like a 3v with at least 4.10’s, if not 4.30’s. This is a major ingredient in why the 5.0 has such good 1/4mi times. And the taller the tire used (drag tires) the better that short gearing works. Gearing is HUGE at the strip. In “real life” gearing doesn’t make as much of a difference.

The downside to the 5.0’s super short gear spacing is that it’s not ideal for going around corners. I went for a hard back road drive in the 5.0 last Saturday and found myself running out of gear mid corner a lot more than I would have liked. Keeping the car balanced on the edge of adhesion mid corner is hard enough without adding a shift to the mix.

I have a friend with a 430hp GT500 that runs 9.90’s. I have another friend who has a 780hp GT500 that runs 10.80’s. Guess which one is a LOT more fun to drive on the street (and simply a better street car)? 1/4mi times are only part of the story. And a very small part if you aren’t going to the strip all the time.

Now for the original question. It pretty much comes down to math.

How much can the 3v be sold for?

How much to buy a 5.0?

What’s the difference? My guess is about $15,000+

How much stuff can you buy for the 3v with the “difference”? If it’s $15,000 you can buy a WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF!

What would make you happier? A 5.0 or a 3v with a whole bunch of stuff?

Go for a ride or if you can swing it drive a 5.0 and a 450hp PD blown 3v. The choice will be an easy one.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t follow drag racing much. But didn’t Matt D’Agostino run a 11.11 with a fairly mild (CNC heads, cams, intake) NA 3v street car?

If so “1/4mi logic” would dictate that a mild NA 3v is “faster” than a 3v with a Saleen Supercherger.

Just sayin’

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page