2005 GT No Throttle and Surging Idle - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

2005 GT No Throttle and Surging Idle

So today I installed a CAI and a throttle body spacer on my s197. Installation went smoothly until I tried to pull the wiring harness off of the throttle body motor (TBS?), one of the clips inside had broken off and I didn't realize until reinstallation. I zip tied it on until I could get to Ford for a new one and thought it wouldn't be a problem because it was still making contact. I pulled out of my shop and made it down the road about a mile until I stopped at a stop light. I went to pull off the light and nothing happened. The wrench light came on and not throttle response. I pulled over and checked the connection and it seemed to still be there. I haven't had a chance to pull the code to my tuner but plan to tomorrow. Other than that i have no idea what to do. Anything helps at this point guys, help me out if you can guys.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012
Apprentice

Garage
it sounds a lot like what i went thru

the car will start/idle really retarded like/no throttle...

took it to ford and they said the throttle body seized... said i had to get a new one lol 800$

so i got a BBK one for 3

and we installed, and it did the exact same thing... so we googled it, and someone reset the spring inside the throttle body (inside that little metal piece on the side) *side note: i have a V6...* idk if the throttle body was the same... but it's on the left side of it attached to the black plastic cover... took that off and reset the gears inside with the spring... and it fired right up and could drive again for a little while after that under WOT the wrench light would come on... but i think the car was adjusting to it maybe??? lol... i don't have any more problems though
and in the end, i probably didn't even need a new TB...

sorry for the long random talking :/

PW 2012 GT/CS
PW 2005 V6
Old 06-26-2012
GT Member

Did you install a tune to match your CAI. You mentioned using the tuner to pull code, but no mention of installing a new tune. Just curious, as this could be the problem. Also make sure the MAF is installed the right way around. Some have managed to put it in backwards causing all kinds of problems. The little window with the sensor wire inside should face the incoming air flow. Also check for vacuum leaks at any point that you had dissembled. Good luck.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.

Old 07-26-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Stupid mistake

Turns out I made a very rookie mistake and actually left a sticker in the intake tube. It had sucked it up and thankfully, got caught on my throttle body blade. Thanks for the replies guys but she runs like a dream.
Old 07-26-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6806stang View Post
Turns out I made a very rookie mistake and actually left a sticker in the intake tube. It had sucked it up and thankfully, got caught on my throttle body blade. Thanks for the replies guys but she runs like a dream.
I lol'd, that't a pretty funny mistake though. Glad you didn't have any issues with it being sucked into the engine or something.

20 years from now, someones doing a rebuild on your car, pulls the head, WTF, there's a sticker stuck to the top of the valve!

That'd be a funny story too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
body , surging idle , throttle , wrench light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in