BMR Relocation brackets/LCA install? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

BMR Relocation brackets/LCA install?

I am in the process of installing BMR relocation brackets and Lower Control arms on my 08 GT. I have the FRPP 1 inch drop springs on it right now. Its up on the jack stands right now and the brackets have been installed to what should be the correct position. The LCAs do no line up with any of the holes in the brackets. I have wiggled hit with a mallet and honestly I have run out of ideas. Anyone know what I could do to make the fit?

Whipple S/C 550 HO kit, FRPP 3.73 Gears, FRPP springs, Steeda Spyder 20x9 and 20x11, BMR LCAs, BMR ReLo Brackets, Front and Rear CShelby Sway bars, Hurst Billet Shifter, Custom Dyno Tune, MRT O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

are your lca's facing the right way?

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Make sure the rear axle is at ride height. How far off are the holes?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yes the LCAs are facing the right way. How do I find the ride height? I thought the using the jack stands on the axle it would be a ride height? They are off by about half a hole.

Whipple S/C 550 HO kit, FRPP 3.73 Gears, FRPP springs, Steeda Spyder 20x9 and 20x11, BMR LCAs, BMR ReLo Brackets, Front and Rear CShelby Sway bars, Hurst Billet Shifter, Custom Dyno Tune, MRT O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member

When I installed LCA's on my old V6 I just put a jack under the gear housing on the axle and jacked it up until it lined up.

2006 Performance White GT 5 Speed - K&N CAI, Magnaflow catback
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
SheizaSoSay

I wish I would have used a hydraulic jack under the diff as suggested above.
Yeah jack stands will have it at ride heigth. I called BMR and asked for some suggestions and they said put the wheel brake on and try to man handle the tire to try and rotate the axle enough to move it into position to line up and then have a buddy put the bolt in. That didn't work out too well for me. I wound up laying on my back and putting my foot on the tire and my shoulder snugged into a wall pushing the crap out of it to move into position and we did it that way. You can put a beefy screw driver in the bracket hole you want to use and then through the lca hole and test movement. See how much resistance via lever action just to get an idea of what you're working with. That is the hard way, I would use the jack on the diff. Don't use the bottom hole on the brackets either, that's overkill. I would use the highest hole.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I will give that a try today. This has proven to be much more difficult than I had originally planned. I was thinking the top hole myself

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

What I beleive is happening here is that the angle of the rear axle needs to rotate up a bit. You might try removing the panhard and read sway bars to get the axle to move more freely.

or try this... use the jacks stands on the frame of the car, then jack up the read axle with a floor jack.. right now the wiegh of the car is being transferrred to the rear axle, so its not so likley to move.

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member

One thing a friend of mine had to do was he put a jack under the connection between the pinion flange and the driveshaft and jacked it slightly. That rotated the axle a bit and lined up the holes.

2006 Performance White GT 5 Speed - K&N CAI, Magnaflow catback
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

finally got it in! thanks guys!

SheizaSoSay

What's your opinions on the brackets? What are you feeling with the car now?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I really wish I would have had them on before. the wheel hop is reduced to nothing now and I assume that when the car is accelerating the geometry has been changed in away that helped smooth out the shifts a little more. The car seems to really respond and not squat in the rear I hated that before.

SheizaSoSay

What about when you are turning? Notice any difference?
Apprentice
S197 Member

I had similar issues, here's what's up.
First of all its easy for the rear axle to start to move forwards or backwards without the control arms. I ended up using a comealong (i think its called that) to pull it back to position.
The second problem I had is that BMR didn't make the brackets right. They were far too narrow for their own control arms to fit into (yes I did have them facing the right way). They had to be seriously FORCED into the brackets.

2007 GT: JLT intake, SCT tuner, Eibach Pro-kit (springs + struts/shocks), Currie Adjustable LCA's with Johnny Joint, BMR relocation brackets, MAC axleback exhaust, Powerslot rotors, EBC redstuff pads, Steeda X5 balljoints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page