I need your help. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004 Thread Starter

I need your help.

How you guys doing.
Me and a friend of mine made a bet while driving down the freeway, which led to an hour and a half long argument, and numerous calls to our friends, but still did not solve the problem.

The bet is, i said that the NEW Mustangs come supercharged. But he said they did not. So we called our friend over the phone, and he said the COBRA is supercharged, but non other.

Then we made a second bet. My friend is claiming that the COBRA is NOT a mustang, that it is a totally different car, different maker, and has NO mustang parts on it. I said, that the COBRA is an UPGRADED Mustang. That made our second bet.

So if anyone can please clarify these for us, it would be GREATLEY appreciated.
I will check back in the forum tomorrow, but just in case anybody wants to email me, my email address is [email protected]

Thank you very much in advance.

aram

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004
4.6L Member

Right on the SVT home page for the Cobra the first thing that comes up is this statement.

"With every year of production, the SVT cobra continues to rewrite Mustange performance history, and 2004 is no exception. On the heels of the best-selling Mustang Cobra of all time..."

SVT clearly views the cobra as a segment of Mustang production. I think it's clear from SVT that the Cobra is a modified, or upgraded as you say, Mustang.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

Get your wallet out

Quote:
Originally Posted by arampapik
How you guys doing.
Me and a friend of mine made a bet while driving down the freeway, which led to an hour and a half long argument, and numerous calls to our friends, but still did not solve the problem.

The bet is, i said that the NEW Mustangs come supercharged. But he said they did not. So we called our friend over the phone, and he said the COBRA is supercharged, but non other.

Then we made a second bet. My friend is claiming that the COBRA is NOT a mustang, that it is a totally different car, different maker, and has NO mustang parts on it. I said, that the COBRA is an UPGRADED Mustang. That made our second bet.

So if anyone can please clarify these for us, it would be GREATLEY appreciated.
I will check back in the forum tomorrow, but just in case anybody wants to email me, my email address is [email protected]

Thank you very much in advance.

aram
I figure you're BOTH right & wrong - New Mustangs (2005) are not yet offered in a supercharged version. Last year's model (2004) the Mustang Cobra WAS supercharged, and other years have been supercharged as well. Believe Ford has offered a Cobra version of the Mustang since 1993 but there may have been a year when it was not offered. The original Cobra, a two-seater roadster created by Carroll Shelby and others, was the combination of a body & chassis from AC Automobiles in England and the Ford 260 cubic inch V8, in 1964??? I've included the link to the Shelby site here, http://www.saac.com/ , so you can research more. There is ENDLESS information about Cobras (the 2-seater type, and Mustang Cobras, the high-performance version of the Mustang), available on the Internet. You'll also want to look at Ford GTs (GT40's) and GT350's/GT500s since they were also developed by Carroll Shelby and Shelby-American Automobiles & Ford. The list of people involved in the development/driving of the early Cobras & GT40s are some of the most respected/talented/famous people in racing history. The heritage of the early Cobras, the GT350, and the GT40 lives on in kit cars, reproductions, Mustang Cobras, and the new Ford GT.

I'm back - 2001 Cobra convertible, 84K miles, acquired 12/10/11; just beginning to figure out what it needs to be right (beyond the leaky top..) - top to be done 12/27. Changed the coolant, <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>. fluid, oil, differential fluid. Replaced the LF wheel hub assy. Ordered a pair of Blisteins for the rear. Next up: full-length subs, strut brace, stainless brake hoses F&R and a bunch of FatMat.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

sent e mail

BLACK on BLACK 05 Premium GT
Magnaflow catted X pipe -- Magnaflow catbacks

1967 Hardtop Restomod Project
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

Previously attached picture 1 (Shelby-1) is of Carroll Shelby, probably within the last couple of years, standing next to a 427 Cobra, note the alum. body and the '427' nameplate at far left.

The "ph_gt_popup" picture is recent and shows three of the new Ford GTs having fun someplace in Michigan, believe photo is from last year around release time, and may be from the official Ford website.

New picture, cobra-2, is from the SAAC site and shows Cobra roadsters and at least two GT40s at a Shelby-American club event. Also check http://www.superformance.com/ to see example of currently available reproduction/kit Cobras, and http://www.penultimatelap.com/ponydrive.htm for some great photos on a 40th anniversary get-together at Unique Performance. I can go on forever but if you're interested this will get you started. Okay, yes, I'm a Mustang, Shelby, and Ford fan.

I'm back - 2001 Cobra convertible, 84K miles, acquired 12/10/11; just beginning to figure out what it needs to be right (beyond the leaky top..) - top to be done 12/27. Changed the coolant, <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>. fluid, oil, differential fluid. Replaced the LF wheel hub assy. Ordered a pair of Blisteins for the rear. Next up: full-length subs, strut brace, stainless brake hoses F&R and a bunch of FatMat.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchMaster
Right on the SVT home page for the Cobra the first thing that comes up is this statement.

"With every year of production, the SVT cobra continues to rewrite Mustange performance history, and 2004 is no exception. On the heels of the best-selling Mustang Cobra of all time..."

SVT clearly views the cobra as a segment of Mustang production. I think it's clear from SVT that the Cobra is a modified, or upgraded as you say, Mustang.
this is not correct; you have to make the distinction between Cobras and Mustang Cobras. You also don't want to leave out the other legacy cars such as the GT350/500 and GT40 (now the Ford GT).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page