Any one here running e85 in there s197 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Any one here running e85 in there s197

Hi guys I wana beagle to run e85 in my mustang. Why well it's a lot cheaper them super and has a higher octan 110 I believe.. I'm going to be going with the gt500 fuel pumps soon and want to know what I need to do to convert to e85.. Also any pros and cons. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
its cheaper, because you burn 2x as much

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

also highly corrosive.....may need to change out other parts to run it safely....I have not seen any GT's with "Flex Fuel" emblems on them....least not out here in CA....

There is no such thing as to much horespower..!!

Last edited by TWShovel; 07-16-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: words

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm not to worried about mpg as I only get 10mpg as is the way I drive:kooky::kooky:.. More for its 110 octain
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012
bigstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick shift 1 View Post
Hi guys I wana beagle to run e85 in my mustang. Why well it's a lot cheaper them super and has a higher octan 110 I believe.. I'm going to be going with the gt500 fuel pumps soon and want to know what I need to do to convert to e85.. Also any pros and cons. Thanks
The thread titled: Installing a new fuel system is a good read for you.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...el-system.html
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012
Apprentice

What you need is a new tune for E85, and make sure that your fuel system can support the extra amount of fuel that`s required.
I use E85 in my Saab 9-3 here in Sweden without any problems, you will get 30% more fuelconsumption but thats it.
The benefit will be more power with a E85 tune,in my case 20% more power with E85. (it`s turbocharged though)
You also may have to add gas to every 5th tank to clean the fuel system, but that`s nothing i have been forced to do.
God luck.

07 GT, C&L Racer, Brenspeed 93 tune, Detroit Rockers cams, FRPP TB, JBA Shorties, Steeda UDP, Corsa axlback and X-pipe, FRPP handlingpack,
Hankook V12 Evo 255/45-18.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Okay I'm going to go check with a shop and see what they say my pumps are maxed so I'm going to defiantly need bigger fuel pumps.. I was told you have to change out all the lines and what not.. But what I've learnd from reading about it is that it's not so bad on the fuel system like every one thinks it is
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
its cheaper, because you burn 2x as much
Not true - 10% more at part throttle, 30% more WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWShovel View Post
also highly corrosive.....may need to change out other parts to run it safely....I have not seen any GT's with "Flex Fuel" emblems on them....least not out here in CA....
Another incorrect statement. Corrossive to some materials yes, but all of your current fuel components are E85 compatible in your Mustang. Your tune will be E85 specific.

Quote:
Okay I'm going to go check with a shop and see what they say my pumps are maxed so I'm going to defiantly need bigger fuel pumps.. I was told you have to change out all the lines and what not.. But what I've learnd from reading about it is that it's not so bad on the fuel system like every one thinks it is
More bad information.The fuel lines in your car are fine with ethanol. Only a marginal gain ~ 10% in power will be realized on a naturally aspirated combo. However, the gains and benefits are HUGE on a FI setup.

07 GT vert, Satin Silver, 5spd, premium trim, interior upgrade pkg, comfort group, GT appearance package, cloth top

ADDED: 302 Stroker, KB 2.8 Mammoth @ 20psi, DOB belt drive, E85 fed, TR6060, ATI, Cervini hood, Meziere, Pypes Long Tubes, O/R X pipe, FRPP GTA mufflers, 20" Bullitts, Eibach Springs, BMR relo brackets/UCA/LCA`s, FRPP 4.10, etc, etc.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hey sorry for the late reply I've been working a hell of a lot and haven't had time to come on here and check.. Silvergtvert. Thank you for all that information and time.. Since my pumps are maxed out I will be buying the gt500duel pumps and and running e85 I have 47lb injectors do you think they are big enough?? I'm currently at 430rwhp with my whipple and am going to be inter cooling it shortly.. I wana run 8lbs with a lot of timing to make the power some make on the 12lb pulley. I think e85 will help me archive that.. Also my car is a 2007 gt are the fuel lines and filter going to be okay??.. Thank you guy for the time and great answers you have been giving me
PONY Member

Quote:
Hey sorry for the late reply I've been working a hell of a lot and haven't had time to come on here and check.. Silvergtvert. Thank you for all that information and time.. Since my pumps are maxed out I will be buying the gt500duel pumps and and running e85 I have 47lb injectors do you think they are big enough?? I'm currently at 430rwhp with my whipple and am going to be inter cooling it shortly.. I wana run 8lbs with a lot of timing to make the power some make on the 12lb pulley. I think e85 will help me archive that.. Also my car is a 2007 gt are the fuel lines and filter going to be okay??.. Thank you guy for the time and great answers you have been giving me
Th GT500 pumps will be more than adequate. I didn`t start to run out of fuel until ~ 600rwhp. Maybe 47lb injectors, but I recommend 60lb injectors. The fuel lines are fine with no changes required. I replaced my fuel filter about 100 miles of converting to E85 just as a pre-cautionary measure.

07 GT vert, Satin Silver, 5spd, premium trim, interior upgrade pkg, comfort group, GT appearance package, cloth top

ADDED: 302 Stroker, KB 2.8 Mammoth @ 20psi, DOB belt drive, E85 fed, TR6060, ATI, Cervini hood, Meziere, Pypes Long Tubes, O/R X pipe, FRPP GTA mufflers, 20" Bullitts, Eibach Springs, BMR relo brackets/UCA/LCA`s, FRPP 4.10, etc, etc.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Okay thanks for the help on this. I think when I buy the pumps ima get 80lb injectors so I don't have to change them again
Man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGTvert View Post
Th GT500 pumps will be more than adequate. I didn`t start to run out of fuel until ~ 600rwhp. Maybe 47lb injectors, but I recommend 60lb injectors. The fuel lines are fine with no changes required. I replaced my fuel filter about 100 miles of converting to E85 just as a pre-cautionary measure.
I'm about to go E85 and still trying to get a handle on what upgrades I'll need for fueling. Currently I have a stock GT pump and a GT500 pump and 39# injectors pushing ~500whp (thanks to 12psi, whipple, blower cams, LT headers, etc.). When I change to E85 I'll probably step boost back to 9psi and add more timing for a net small gain in power and huge gain in safety. Do you think I'll be okay with my current fuel pumps and should I go with 60# or 80# injectors.. I plan on no further mods with this car.

'07 SGT3249 510rwhp, Whipple 12psi, Detroit Rocker cams, Pypes LT & exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page