06 GT spark plug change 95K My experience - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

06 GT spark plug change 95K My experience

I know there are literally dozens of posts on this topic but I wanted to post my experience for anyone who might be trying this.

I have been dreading this day since I joined this forum and started reading the posts about breaking spark plugs. I am the type that Murphey loves and to compound it I am the least patient man you will ever meet. I have the whole weekend so I figured WTH I'm gonna get the plugs and go for it. I did not have the tool, cause I couldn't wait for it, so I was winging it. I will say I didn't break one plug all of them came out fine.

I ran 2 cans of Sea foam through the car with 93 octane (2 tanks of gas) in preparation for this.

I started the car and let it warm up then I pulled the COP's and broke all of the plugs loose and turned about 1/8 of a turn. Then I sprayed each hole full (above the hex of the plug) of Sea foam deep creep and walked away for 1 hr and 15 minutes.

When I came back I set my torque wrench to 30 ft/lbs. and went to turning. The plugs creaked a little but came out with little effort. When I pulled the plugs out they were wet all the way down to the electrode and black. The electrode was all but gone so I know they have been in there since day one.

Once I had all of the plugs out I cranked the motor a few times because there seemed like alot of fluid and I didn't want to take a chance on hydro locking the motor. I put anti seize on the threads and put the new plugs in. I got in the car and cranked it up and moved it back to the driveway. I didn't get a chance to drive it cause a bad thunderstorm came up literally as I was coming in the house.
One thing I will say is in researching this everyone said to use a 15mm socket but I found that a 9/16 fit better.

That's my experience and now that it's done I hope to have another enjoyable 100k miles hopefully by then I'll be ready to forge the bottom end and the engine builder can remove the plugs
As soon as this storm is over I hope to drive it and hopefully there will be a "little" difference like I said the electrodes were almost non existent.
Autolite HT1 plugs
2 cans of Sea foam in 2 tanks of gas (don't really know if it helped or not)
Sea foam Deep Creep
9/16 deep socket
7 mm socket for the COP's
Good luck

2013 GT Premium A/T 5.0
2006 Mustang GT premium A/T Sold
1990 Mustang GT Sold

2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak Modded to death and Fast The Torque Monster SOLD!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012
GT Member

That's great news . I have an 05 with about 50K on the meter and was contemplating changing the plugs also, but it runs absolutely perfect (with a Brenspeed tune), and with a 100k recommended plug change interval, I really don't need to do this probably for at least another 5 years or more (probably sell it before then). I think I would like to do it as a challenge more than a necessity, but would really kick myself if I end up having problems that costs me a wack of cash when it's really wasn't necessary in the first place. Perhaps I'll could make it a winter project when it's not going to be driven for six months.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
That's great news . I have an 05 with about 50K on the meter and was contemplating changing the plugs also, but it runs absolutely perfect (with a Brenspeed tune), and with a 100k recommended plug change interval, I really don't need to do this probably for at least another 5 years or more (probably sell it before then). I think I would like to do it as a challenge more than a necessity, but would really kick myself if I end up having problems that costs me a wack of cash when it's really wasn't necessary in the first place. Perhaps I'll could make it a winter project when it's not going to be driven for six months.
I would recommend cracking the plugs loose, checking the plug, and then if they are good reinstalling with anti seize. That way, when you go to actually install new plugs you'll have no issues getting them out. Or you could end up braking one or two and replace them anyways.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't think I will wait as long next time. The car seemed to be running fine but after inspecting the plugs closer last night I really don't know how it ran at all. The electrode is almost non existent. I will probably pull these at 50K at least to look them over if not replace them.

2013 GT Premium A/T 5.0
2006 Mustang GT premium A/T Sold
1990 Mustang GT Sold

2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak Modded to death and Fast The Torque Monster SOLD!!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I just replaced my plugs on my car today, 58k miles, broken 4 plugs, followed the latest TSB to a T. Had to scramble and went to NAPA and paid an outrageous sum for a NAPA branded Lisle extractor. But I must say, the extractor worked flawlessly and the car runs a lot better now. Deff do plugs sooner then later.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

For those thinking that they can wait, just remember, the sooner you do this the less likely you are to get a break. So at a minimum, remove the old plug and put antisieze on it. I also reccomend using sea foam as the OP did, thats how I did mine and I had no breakage at 85k.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey4now View Post
For those thinking that they can wait, just remember, the sooner you do this the less likely you are to get a break. So at a minimum, remove the old plug and put antisieze on it. I also reccomend using sea foam as the OP did, thats how I did mine and I had no breakage at 85k.

That was what my hope was, until the second plug I tried taking out broke. But even still, after 58K miles they looked rather worn. I don't see how they call the plugs 100K mile plugs, they should change the interval just for the fact that people don't try to keep them in that long. But I guess its a little late for that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

94k on my two piece plugs, had the tools, used sea foam and let it soak several times......got all changed, no breakage....

There is no such thing as to much horespower..!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012
Apprentice

Changed my spark plugs for one piece Champion 7989 at 20.000 miles, following the procedure, without big problems (but with a lot of carbon "build up" on plugs !) Now I get used to dismantle and clean my plugs at every oil change (4.000 miles !) Carbon problems more or less disapear when I intalled oil separator !!!! So, one piece plugs and oil separator, better safe than sorry !!!!

Mustang 05 GT Sceaming Yellow, manual. Steeda CAI + Predator Bamachip tunes, CMDP, Underdrive Pulley,
Eibach Pro springs, Tokico D spec,Camber plates Steeda Adj Panhard bar + brace, Front G brace, Uca + Lca's & relocation brakets, oil separator, hood pins. FRPP GTA muffler, Saleen HID Headlights & short throw shifter. Steeda 18" Pentar wheels with 255/45/18 front, 275/40/18 back, sequential tail lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page