Rear end noise low speed turns 2010 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rear end noise low speed turns 2010 GT

2010 GT Convertible. Bought my dream car but it sounds like a piece of crap when turning after warming up. Dealer agreed that it is annoying and gave me a copy of a Ford service message, SSM 22122. SSM states "these noises are a normal characteristic of the heavy duty/racing type limited slip differential" This SSM references 2007-2012 Mustangs. I cannot believe that Ford has let this go since 2007. They build a beautiful car that sounds like garbage.
Has anyone found a cure besides Ford's suggestion of turning a tight figure eight 5 times to lessen the noise for a short time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012
Snackmaster

Welcome to AFM! I moved this here for you to get you some help.

Thanks for joining!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummajor500 View Post
2010 GT Convertible. . . . sounds like a piece of crap when turning after warming up. . . . .
I have not noticed this noise in mine ; maybe it is more noticeable with a convertible because you just plain hear stuff more with the top down. I'll try to remember to try some tight turns next time it is good and warmed up and see if I hear anything.

It might be worth a try to change the differential fluid and make sure it has the right friction modifier added. A good synthetic fluid like Amsoil couldn't hurt. If you have a good transmission shop do the fluid change, they can check the clearances in the gears also while they are at it.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. The noise is like a metal on metal scraping, similar to the noise from bad bearings.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012
Apprentice

Your description reminds me of the time I fragged the clutch packs in the stock differential doing burnouts at the race track. I don't know what in the world Ford means by "heavy duty racing type limited slip differential". It sure didn't seem too "heavy duty" to me. I replaced mine with an Eaton limited slip and all good now.

Justin
Columbus, OH
'07 GT auto, Stage 3 Saleen Series VI blower @9.5lbs boost. LTs, MAC Boom Tubes, 1pc Driveshaft, Eaton posi.
Brenspeed Installed and Brenspeed Tuned
Best 1/4 mile is 11.42 @ 119. Driven Daily
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012
PONY Member

Add some friction modifier to the rear end. That should stop the low-speed turn groan. If it doesnt change after a few days to a week, you have a problem.
My gt500 rear end did it awhile after a gear change and using royal purple; added Ford Racing friction modifer (XL2 or XL3, something like that), and it took care of it.

Mike -- 2005 "The Beast" (Formerly a V6, now a forged/stroked 5.0L V8 sportn' a Kenne Bell 2.6L @18psi, and many mods
2006 4.0L w/Powerhouse turbo and TR-6060 :kooky:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page