Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   Buck under medium acceleration - ??? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/352261-buck-under-medium-acceleration.html)

joe_momma 07-25-2012 01:05 PM

Buck under medium acceleration - ???

Car is an '06GT, just turned 8000 miles today (yes 8k not 80k). Bone stock (for now). So last night as I was heading to the gym, I pulled out making a left turn on my normal route. There was a car coming a good ways off so I accelerated what I would call "medium". First gear up to about 3500-4k, then smooth shift to second and back on the gas using medium pedal. Well, all of a sudden, it bucks around 3500 or so - like the TC kicked in. So I let off and got back on, everything was fine. In my driving last night on the way home and into work this morning - spirited driving to test/check - everything was fine.

Here's the deal - I'm almost positive that I had the TC off last night...but it felt just like it kicked in for a second as I accelerated in 2nd. Could something else have caused this? A glitch or something? Or am I just overthinking this and I had left the TC on? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Calgt08 07-25-2012 02:45 PM

Mine does this once in a while. Known issue. I press in the clutch and rev it a few times and it goes away.

JayP 07-25-2012 03:01 PM

It may be the throttle position sensor flaking out. If it is the round one with "AA" as the last 2 digits, get a new one.

joe_momma 07-25-2012 04:13 PM

Well this is somewhat comforting, at least a little (I think lol). It means I'm not crazy. :kooky:
Next question: Is there a picture/diagram of where/how to check this? I'm not real sure what I'm looking for. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Found a picture in the online browsable service manual. Very handy link! Question though - can you see the part number on it without removing it? The manual states that it can't be reused, so I don't want to pull it off if I don't have to...

joe_momma 07-26-2012 10:07 AM

I checked it this morning before I came into work. Sure enough, "round" TPS and "AA" as the last digits in the part number. Any recommendations on where to get a new one? I did a quick look around and found an ACDelco one, and some others for upgraded TBs.

JayP 07-27-2012 12:59 PM

Autozone has them for $70.
My local dealers wanted $110.
Dallas Mustang can get them for $50 or $60.

I was about to drive 1000 miles and had a day to get ready. Got the duralast branded Autozone one. Lifetime warranty. DOUBLE CHECK the new one. The first one I got my hands on was a Ford part in a Duralast box. "AA" to beat it all.

joe_momma 07-27-2012 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info!