Possible torque converter lockup failing? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Possible torque converter lockup failing?

Hi guys. 06 GT auto here. Today I was driving uphill and as the trans went into what I believe was fifth gear/overdrive, it repeatedly hesitated and I think clunked as it tried to accelerate. It was kind of like when the traction control kicks in and limits the gas, except the car shuddered a little bit each time. It almost felt as if the trans gears were getting "stuck" and just attempting over and over until it downshifted to 4th.

I thought maybe it was slipping due to low fluid or something. I haven't had a moment to check the ATF fluid level but someone on another forum suggested that the torque converter lockup solenoid may be going bad, or engaging erratically. Does this sound accurate?

The car seemed to drive fine in gears 1-4. This seemed to only happen in fifth. Unfortunately I forgot to check what the tachometer was doing because I was sort of panicking, as nothing has gone wrong on my car for 82000 miles at this point.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2006 GT

BMC
Boomtubers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Always a good idea to check the fluid level when an auto tranny seems dodgy. However, a low level would probably cause problems in all gears.
A failing lock up solenoid appears to be a good guess for the cause of your tranny's problem. Suggest getting it tested to make sure. In the meantime disable OD to prevent possible damage.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Will do, thanks a bunch.

2006 GT

BMC
Boomtubers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page